Advanced search

No peanuts to make Massaman curry

(12 Posts)
petitdonkey Fri 16-Jan-15 17:47:10

Would you substitute with cashew or omit???

petitdonkey Fri 16-Jan-15 17:51:13

Please!!! I am about to make it and need to let it cook for 2 hours!! Late supper tonight...

Have you got any peanut butter? I would probably substitute the cashews, but I haven't made this curry, so this mightn't be the best advice.

Chewbecca Fri 16-Jan-15 17:53:11

Sub with cashews gets my vote. This sort of curry needs nuts & cashews are not v different to peanuts and are used in oriental dishes.

petitdonkey Fri 16-Jan-15 18:13:31

Thank you both - I have chucked the cashews in! I have never made it before but I can't believe substituting the nuts will alter it that much…. I thought it was preferable to dry roasted peanuts which was all M&S had but thinking about it, I've just roasted the cashews so maybe not…

Smells lovely already though smile

ihatethecold Fri 16-Jan-15 18:30:17

Id love the recipe.
I've just ordered a massaman curry from the Thai take away.

petitdonkey Fri 16-Jan-15 18:42:39

It is this one - it's the first time I have tried it so I will let you know how it goes.

That looks delicious!

petitdonkey Fri 16-Jan-15 19:55:12

OMG - have just tried it and it is truly lovely and delicious!! I am very pleased! Don't think the cashews made a great deal of difference. It is supposed to have 15min more. Recipe says to serve with Jasmine rice but it has potatoes in it - is that weird?

Puddingsandpiglets Fri 16-Jan-15 21:48:12

I've only ever eaten massaman curry with cashews. Never seen a recipe asking for peanuts, so don't think you've done anything odd. Massaman is usually served with rice, so that's not weird. Glad it turned out well!

ihatethecold Fri 16-Jan-15 23:16:59

My take out massaman curry tonight was lovely but had about 3 peanuts in it!

Takesalongtime Sat 17-Jan-15 19:33:08

I make a lovely massaman curry in the slow cooker. Delicious! I also add a few carrots which works well just like the potatoes! I've eaten but now fancy the curry!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now