Talk

Advanced search

Best sausages

(17 Posts)
Lokina Fri 16-Jan-15 07:25:24

What are the best easily available sausages? From the butcher? Or supermarket? I'm not a sausage lover so they have to be really "nice" - no suspect hard chewy bits. Family is demanding a sausage-based meal and I want to find some good ones!

lavendersun Fri 16-Jan-15 07:30:32

Butcher if you have a decent one. Mine does lovely sausages, no cereal at all, just a few herbs and spices.

We (DH more than most) really dislike even the nicest supermarket sausages.

Camolips Fri 16-Jan-15 07:38:20

I'm not keen on a lot of 'designer' sausages, those hand carved, purest 100% pork jobs. I think if I had to go for a favourite, one we eat most of the time, it would have to be Tesco finest Pork and Apple.

CakeMakesMeHappy Fri 16-Jan-15 07:39:44

I get my sausages from a family member most of the time so as pp said an very fussy!
Definitely try a decent butcher smile they will be worth it.

HellKitty Fri 16-Jan-15 07:47:10

Markies used to do a big pack of 20 butcher's best sausages. They were amazing, I once had 60 in my freezer when they had a 3 for £10 offer on!

Lokina Fri 16-Jan-15 11:19:00

Right! Butcher it is. And Tesco pork and apple on the list for next time I go there.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Fri 16-Jan-15 11:28:11

we have a superb sausage shop here with a massive range of very interesting sausages though we generally get the plainer ones. Virtually no fat comes off them, ever - very meaty

They do mail order www.cowmans.co.uk/ if you want to try something interesting wink

(I actually prefer the Finest/Taste the Diff ones but I get outvoted)

senua Fri 16-Jan-15 11:29:31

I'm not keen on poncey sausages - the 'and apple' or 'with red onion' etc type. The poncey filling is just an excuse to use less meat. I like Asda's Extra Special sausages - the 'and ...' tend to be only 83% meat but the pure pork sausage is 90% meat (iirc) for a good price.

goodasitgets Fri 16-Jan-15 11:30:55

Slightly off beat but bear with me grin
I am the same with sausages and have just eaten chicken ones - wow! The brand is Heck, got them from Tesco and they're called chicken italia. Really nice

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 16-Jan-15 13:25:31

14yo DS... who is the world's fussiest sausage eater... has declared the Sainsbury Ultimate Outdoor Reared Pork Sausages the best. 97% pork, not lumpy and not too smooth, no unnecessary/weird flavourings, not overboard on the pepper, not suspiciously pink in colour.....

RosyAuroch Fri 16-Jan-15 14:18:02

Helen Browning Speedy Sausages from Sainsburys. Great for kilties too

cdtaylornats Fri 16-Jan-15 15:31:08

Tesco Venison Sausages are excellent. Worth getting some diced venison as well for a Venison & Venison Sausage casserole.

BobsTaintedLeftLeg Sun 18-Jan-15 22:37:17

Costco, 95% meat.

Even better fiver a pack, 18 in a pack.

They do pork, Cumberland, caramelised onion (which I find a bit sweet), Italian herb (not tried).

tinytops Mon 19-Jan-15 08:37:23

The black farmer ones are great. Gluten free too

tb Wed 21-Jan-15 17:34:56

Richard Woodall's, think they sell them at Teebay services and in Booths.

WowWowSauce Wed 21-Jan-15 18:13:34

The ones from my butcher are amazing. I'd try the butcher first. Mine just uses meat and herbs/spices, no filler crap.

I did find suspect hard bits in the black farmer ones, but they were nice apart from that...(not buying them again)

A lady at work raves about the Heck ones mentioned above, and I want to try them <helpful>

MissLurkalot Wed 21-Jan-15 18:14:42

We like 'Heck' ones. Tesco sell them.. 97% pork

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: