Talk

Advanced search

Yoghurt maker

(3 Posts)
Teabiscuits Tue 13-Jan-15 12:46:40

I have bought a salter electric yoghurt maker on a whim (half price in BHS sale, somewhat distracted while ordering school uniform!) and was wondering if anyone has any experience of these contraptions.

I've managed to make yoghurt which tastes ok, but is lacking in texture. It looks kind of like it's split, with tiny curdy pieces in a sort of yoghurt soup. Do I need to strain it through muslin to achieve a thicker consistency?

I have followed the instructions in the less than inspiring booklet that came with it, and have used 950 ml semi skimmed milk, heated it to boiling point, then cooled to less than 50 degrees before adding 50 ml live yogurt. Then thrown it in the yoghurt maker for about 10 hours till it looks done.

Am I going wrong? Or is it just that I'm getting yoghurt in it's natural state rather than what I am used to buying from the shops.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

dreamingofsun Tue 13-Jan-15 20:01:09

i've got a lakeland one. part using instructions and part from advice on here, i use full fat uht milk a pot of live yogurt (green one cant remember name) and about a tablespoon of milk powder which thickens it. i chuck it all in the pot and mix a little not too much. no prior heating if you use uht. comes out lovely and thick and not sour, sometimes with a little bit of running stuff on top (tablespoon maybe) which i tip out

Teabiscuits Wed 14-Jan-15 13:43:41

lovely I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: