Talk

Advanced search

I know this has been done before...but healthy breakfasts for pre-teens?

(16 Posts)
TheEnduringMoment Sun 11-Jan-15 20:21:17

I am not a morning person. DD is not a morning person. However society dictates that we both have to get up for stupid o'clock to get to school/work. I am very old so am excused breakfast, but I insist on DD having something.

However she will not eat toast or cereal and she's now refusing porridge, and she has a terrible sugar habit which I wish to steer her away from whenever she's within my control.

She will eat:
a) scrambled eggs
b) boiled eggs
c) tinned fruit (bit sugary)
d) custard
e) low sugar high oat fruit crumble
f) pancakes but I'm not doing pancakes at that time of day

What am I missing?

itsveryyou Sun 11-Jan-15 20:37:09

Will she have plain yogurt with some oats thrown in, frozen or fresh blueberries and a little honey? Smoothies? Can make it the night before in a tub or bowl. Or maybe some wholewheat banana muffins, make a batch at weekend and freeze them so she can get one out the night before ready for the morning? we sometimes make pancakes at the weekend then freeze them and have them during the week, they heat up pretty quickly in the oven.

TheEnduringMoment Sun 11-Jan-15 20:46:26

Thanks, yes actually we can do yoghurt and fruit puree things if I remember to get them in stock. Our oven takes ages to warm up, so no breakfast plan can involve that unfortunately, it has to be hob or microwave - though I guess pancakes would reheat in a microwave.

agoodbook Sun 11-Jan-15 22:44:42

My mum used to make us omelette sandwiches - ( more years ago than I care to remember) - would that work?

KiaOraOAotearoa Sun 11-Jan-15 22:51:12

Dutch crispbakes (round baked muffin slices) with whatever.
Croissant with cheese/salami
Continental breakfast, really, bread, cheese, meat.
Mine eats stuff like weetabix, for example, but wouldn't touch porridge.

CocktailQueen Sun 11-Jan-15 22:54:17

Granola with natural yoghurt and seeds and fruit on top?
Toasted muffins with cheese or ham?
Bought pancakes?!

amidaiwish Sun 11-Jan-15 22:57:03

Omelette. Really quick when you get used to making it and v fast to eat

LadyStark Sun 11-Jan-15 23:03:43

Ham/bacon and egg cups? These are one of my favourite breakfasts ohsnapletseat.com/2013/01/14/a-paleo-breakfast-baked-eggs-in-ham-cups/

Middleagedmotheroftwo Sun 11-Jan-15 23:10:20

Bacon sandwich, banana, one of those breakfast bar thingies, flapjack, muffin, doughnut, fried egg sandwich, cheese toastie.

toffeeboffin Sun 11-Jan-15 23:11:46

Granola, yogurt and home made apple compote. Even better if you layer it in a fancy cocktail dish! Or sliced bananas, cottage cheese and granola is surprisingly good, tastes like trifle.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 11-Jan-15 23:12:44

Make the pancake mix the night before and keep in fridge. It keeps for two or three days. Make a big batch.

toffeeboffin Mon 12-Jan-15 13:23:03

How about banana bread? Really good toasted, or with mashed banana spread on top.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 12-Jan-15 13:28:13

Bought scotch pancakes. Bung in toaster - job done.

Croissants?

Brioche (not the nasty dry little rolls my dc like, but the lush, fluffy stuff)

Banana

Yoghurt smoothy (buy a big bottle and keep in the fridge)

HelenaJustina Mon 12-Jan-15 13:33:56

Another vote for smoothies, see if you can find one that includes some veg.
Granola, yoghurt and fruit compote feels grown up if presented right. Yeo do beautiful tubs of fruit compote that are easy to keep in fridge.
Beans on toast?
Homemade flapjack, banana and glass of milk?
I already have same battle with Dd age 5, can't see it getting better! Given the choice she would eat a fab breakfast at about 10, but I need her to be finished by 7.30!

Taffeta Mon 12-Jan-15 18:31:58

DD likes baked beans best
Then eggs - with soldiers
Sometimes a bagel with marmite and cheese
Cheese and crackers
Stewed apple and plain yoghurt

TheEnduringMoment Mon 12-Jan-15 21:50:49

Thanks all - I'll run through all these great ideas with DD before I do my next supermarket order.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: