Talk

Advanced search

Do you eat organic? Fully /partially /not at all?

(12 Posts)
Eyespy24 Sat 10-Jan-15 10:12:01

Just wondered what people's views are on organic.

Do you think organic is more important for some things eg meat /dairy? Do you try & give babies or younger children more/entirely organic food?

Or is it all just a con? I feel swayed towards the benefits of organic but am also trying to economise. Not sure how to balance it all up.

Would be interested in your opinions. Thanks.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 10-Jan-15 10:40:51

I prefer organic dairy and eggs as I tnink the end product is safer and better quality than conventional. I don't buy organic meat preferring locally or British produced. My reason is food miles and animal welfare. Not just the distances animals or carcasses travel but also the distances involved in sourcing organic feed which are frankly ridiculous. I don't buy organic fruit or vegetables but procure seasonal, local/British products for similar reasons. Pesticide residue standards are very good and it's better IMHO to buy a tasty conventional strawberry grown outdoors in Britain in July than a bland hothouse organic strawberry flown in from overseas in December.

agoodbook Sat 10-Jan-15 10:42:22

Organic is usually more expensive - and I prefer to think about seasonality and food miles
I am part organic though - I grow most , but not all, of my vegetables and some of my fruit, so I love knowing exactly what is on/in it ( but then, I have the time!)
I buy local in preference to organic for example I am lucky enough to have a very good butcher who knows all his farmers around here, and can tell you were all his meat is sourced
personally I think for babies/children fresh food in season is more important than organic - and a local market or shop rather than a supermarket .
Bit I'm sure lots of people may disagree! smile

agoodbook Sat 10-Jan-15 10:43:32

Snap * cogito* x posted!

TooMuchRain Sat 10-Jan-15 10:58:09

My priorities are local and seasonal for fruit and veg, high welfare for meat and sustainable for fish. But, I find that often means that I buy organic because it tends to go together with those other things - at least with local producers near me.

nocarbsplease Sat 10-Jan-15 11:02:55

I buy british, higher welfare meat. That is more important to me than organic.

As for fruit and veg, I don't really buy into the organic thing - most of it is washed / peeled before eating anyway. I buy seasonally and local where possible.

I would like to buy organic meat and understand the principles for it but can't afford it.

I buy organic milk as I understand hormones end up in it. But I may be wrong.

Basically I'm a bit all over the place with it!

mausmaus Sat 10-Jan-15 11:06:03

always organic: milk and butter and eggs
mostly organic: meats and cheese , veg

however I do not go out of my way for organic and onsider other factors like transport miles. for example if I have the choice between organic meat from nz and local (ish) conventional then local wins.

WookieCookiee Sat 10-Jan-15 11:18:01

Organic: milk, some cheese and butter. Plus cooking chocolate and carrots- they are the only veg that we all noticed a difference with.
Meat: definitely look for British, and organic where possible, otherwise I look for Free range, outdoor reared, higher welfare, or RSPCA monitored. I read pizza boxes etc to see where the meat comes from, and try not to eat meat when I'm out unless I know where it comes from. I do still buy Italian pepperoni, Spanish chorizo etc. however as I have found UK versions lacking in flavour.
Eggs: free range.

RojaGato Sat 10-Jan-15 18:20:33

Pretty much all organic, have been for about 12 years. Do buy the odd thing that isn't, but 95% anyway is organic or wild

Meat- buy local and organic direct from local farmer, put an order in and pick it up from farmer's market on Saturdays. Find this makes it a lot cheaper. Also buy game in season in bulk from a fairly local dealer and get it delivered, freeze some and use over course of a month or so.

Fruit and vegetables- mostly organic and local (at a push european), mostly in season from greengrocer/wholefoods place at top of road that has great buying policy. It's usually cheaper than organic from supermarkets, plus you buy what you need not packs. We moved house/city early last year and tbh the shop at the top of the road was probably the deciding factor in choosing our flat. There is also an organic farm about half an hour away that we go to some weekends, especially in summer, that sells what it grows plus some things it buys in. It's really pretty cheap as it cuts out the middleman for a lot of things, and they have a rural location. Quality is amazing too.

Dairy/eggs- both DH and I have intolerances so I buy eggs maybe twice a year for a Xmas or birthday cake or something. Organic, free-range local from shop at top of road, or the farmer.I have a little bit of dairy now and again as my intolerance isn't as severe as DH's, so it's usually a cappuccino or ice cream something out, in which case I do prefer organic if I can get it, but it's like once a week. Can't remember the last time I bought a pint of milk.

I do live in cloud cuckoo land when it comes to food, and I realise we are lucky to be able to do so. We do prioritise food over other things and we hardly ever eat out/get a takeaway so we can afford to get good food at home. I was brought up not to cut corners on food if you could help it at all. Even when I've been totally skint in the last 12 years it's been at least 75% organic- but then it's been lentils and tinned tomatoes.

paxtecum Sat 10-Jan-15 18:26:55

I live on my own, don't drink, don't eat out, don't spend money on magazines, but I do eat organic food.
I get deliveries from Riverford so no air miles involved.
I cook from scratch in bulk.
I don't want to be eating pesticides, fertilizers and growth hormones.

MilkRunningOutAgain Sat 10-Jan-15 21:57:50

I would like to but can't afford it so I don't. Tend to buy 3for2s,and supermarket basic ranges.

Takesalongtime Sat 10-Jan-15 22:56:40

I went fully organic until youngest dc was 5 others 6 & 9 fully organic for them. However then dh lost job so surviving on very little & having 2cut down on costs which meant no organic food sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now