Talk

Advanced search

Help with catering a 5 year old's party

(5 Posts)
MyGastIsTinselled Fri 09-Jan-15 11:17:30

Am having a birthday party for DS1 next month-he'll be 5. All his class is invited and I'm totally clueless what to provide food wise. This is the first party DS has been to so I can't get ideas from other ones.

So far I have one vegetarian, 2 nut allergies (which terrifies me) and an egg allergy.

I'd thought along the lines of:
Sandwiches (ham,cheese, maybe fish)
Sausage & veggie sausage rolls (checking ingredients)
Veg sticks & hummus
Fruit
Breadsticks?
Crisps
Chocolate fingers

Is this enough variety or far too basic?

Any other ideas gratefully received.

Hoppinggreen Fri 09-Jan-15 11:46:50

Sounds fine, to be honest at a lot of parties the food gets largely ignored anyway.
Keep it basic and it should be fine

marmaladegranny Fri 09-Jan-15 11:56:20

Sandwiches were always overlooked at my DCs ' parties. Squares of basic home made pizza went down well. The rest of your menu sounds ideal.
Suggest you ask the Mums of the allergic children for more details - nut allergy covers a broad range and you need to know if your house needs to be nut free or if it is only a problem if the child eats nuts.

momb Fri 09-Jan-15 11:57:10

Not the cheapest way to do it but the simplest IME:
buy food boxes example

Then make up a round of sandwiches, in a bag, a mini bag of apples/grapes from the supermarket, a few cocktail sausages, a bag of crisps from a multipack and a drink for each child. You can make veggie/food allergy ones separately and name them so less chance of cross contamination. I used to make the round of sandwiches four quarters of different things, so every child got at least a couple they liked.
You can put extras in the box (hooter, streamer, balloon, little toy etc) and then they can take it home instead of a party bag when you slip some cake in as they leave...

momb Fri 09-Jan-15 11:58:16

oh, and cherry tomatoes: they've always gone down well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: