Talk

Advanced search

Help with catering a 5 year old's party

(5 Posts)
MyGastIsTinselled Fri 09-Jan-15 11:17:30

Am having a birthday party for DS1 next month-he'll be 5. All his class is invited and I'm totally clueless what to provide food wise. This is the first party DS has been to so I can't get ideas from other ones.

So far I have one vegetarian, 2 nut allergies (which terrifies me) and an egg allergy.

I'd thought along the lines of:
Sandwiches (ham,cheese, maybe fish)
Sausage & veggie sausage rolls (checking ingredients)
Veg sticks & hummus
Fruit
Breadsticks?
Crisps
Chocolate fingers

Is this enough variety or far too basic?

Any other ideas gratefully received.

Hoppinggreen Fri 09-Jan-15 11:46:50

Sounds fine, to be honest at a lot of parties the food gets largely ignored anyway.
Keep it basic and it should be fine

marmaladegranny Fri 09-Jan-15 11:56:20

Sandwiches were always overlooked at my DCs ' parties. Squares of basic home made pizza went down well. The rest of your menu sounds ideal.
Suggest you ask the Mums of the allergic children for more details - nut allergy covers a broad range and you need to know if your house needs to be nut free or if it is only a problem if the child eats nuts.

momb Fri 09-Jan-15 11:57:10

Not the cheapest way to do it but the simplest IME:
buy food boxes example

Then make up a round of sandwiches, in a bag, a mini bag of apples/grapes from the supermarket, a few cocktail sausages, a bag of crisps from a multipack and a drink for each child. You can make veggie/food allergy ones separately and name them so less chance of cross contamination. I used to make the round of sandwiches four quarters of different things, so every child got at least a couple they liked.
You can put extras in the box (hooter, streamer, balloon, little toy etc) and then they can take it home instead of a party bag when you slip some cake in as they leave...

momb Fri 09-Jan-15 11:58:16

oh, and cherry tomatoes: they've always gone down well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now