Talk

Advanced search

I need to know how I keep apple slices from going brown....and any other tips so I can feel like a proper mum..

(10 Posts)
Briony32 Thu 08-Jan-15 22:48:45

When I'm shopping with my toddler, I see other mums giving their toddlers lovely fresh apple slices to chew on from a tupperware box. I have tried the lemon juice thing and they still go brown. My apples are manky and brown and it's really affecting my self esteem. I bought a bag of ready sliced apples from Waitrose the other day and the ingredients just said 'apples'. How do they do it?

Gautami Thu 08-Jan-15 22:51:06

I don't know. Take a tangerine or some cucumber instead.

WhatABaklava Thu 08-Jan-15 22:54:40

Very easy - just squeeze some lemon juice over them (or add a few drops from bottle of lemon juice). 100% natural and effective (just make sure all surfaces of Apple are coated.

WhatABaklava Thu 08-Jan-15 22:56:10

Ok I didn't read your post in full blush

Try more lemon juice than you originally did. And surface coating, as bored above, v important.

TheCowThatLaughs Thu 08-Jan-15 22:58:45

They're still edible and taste fine when brown though

TanteRose Thu 08-Jan-15 22:59:55

Put apple slices in salt water (1 liter, 2 tsps salt) for a few minutes.
Either drain and pat dry (leaving the apples a tiny bit salty) or rinse with tap water and pat dry

Justmuddlingalong Thu 08-Jan-15 23:01:18

I bet those apples have just been transferred from a waitrose bag to a Tupperware tub. You should do the same and hold your head high Op.

MegMogandOwlToo Thu 08-Jan-15 23:03:06

A little bit of water in the box will do, or rinse the slices before u put them in he box. Only lasts a couple of hours though before they go brown.

MegMogandOwlToo Thu 08-Jan-15 23:03:43

confusednot sure what happened to my spelling there.. Bloody iPhone!

Briony32 Sat 10-Jan-15 14:27:30

Thanks people. Will try a more thorough coating of lemon juice. And hold my head up high, even if I do have brown apples smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now