Talk

Advanced search

I need to know how I keep apple slices from going brown....and any other tips so I can feel like a proper mum..

(10 Posts)
Briony32 Thu 08-Jan-15 22:48:45

When I'm shopping with my toddler, I see other mums giving their toddlers lovely fresh apple slices to chew on from a tupperware box. I have tried the lemon juice thing and they still go brown. My apples are manky and brown and it's really affecting my self esteem. I bought a bag of ready sliced apples from Waitrose the other day and the ingredients just said 'apples'. How do they do it?

Gautami Thu 08-Jan-15 22:51:06

I don't know. Take a tangerine or some cucumber instead.

WhatABaklava Thu 08-Jan-15 22:54:40

Very easy - just squeeze some lemon juice over them (or add a few drops from bottle of lemon juice). 100% natural and effective (just make sure all surfaces of Apple are coated.

WhatABaklava Thu 08-Jan-15 22:56:10

Ok I didn't read your post in full blush

Try more lemon juice than you originally did. And surface coating, as bored above, v important.

TheCowThatLaughs Thu 08-Jan-15 22:58:45

They're still edible and taste fine when brown though

TanteRose Thu 08-Jan-15 22:59:55

Put apple slices in salt water (1 liter, 2 tsps salt) for a few minutes.
Either drain and pat dry (leaving the apples a tiny bit salty) or rinse with tap water and pat dry

Justmuddlingalong Thu 08-Jan-15 23:01:18

I bet those apples have just been transferred from a waitrose bag to a Tupperware tub. You should do the same and hold your head high Op.

MegMogandOwlToo Thu 08-Jan-15 23:03:06

A little bit of water in the box will do, or rinse the slices before u put them in he box. Only lasts a couple of hours though before they go brown.

MegMogandOwlToo Thu 08-Jan-15 23:03:43

confusednot sure what happened to my spelling there.. Bloody iPhone!

Briony32 Sat 10-Jan-15 14:27:30

Thanks people. Will try a more thorough coating of lemon juice. And hold my head up high, even if I do have brown apples smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: