Talk

Advanced search

Chicken mince?

(6 Posts)
Cumberlover76 Thu 08-Jan-15 12:21:51

Anyone know where i can buy it? You can buy all other types of minced meat apart from Chicken? Why?

MortaIWombat Thu 08-Jan-15 13:24:06

Any butcher will mince up some chicken breast if you ask them to.
I think it's not generally for sale as it's too fiddly to do in large amounts, and most people eat chicken on the bone anyway.

JamNan Thu 08-Jan-15 16:58:41

Buy some breasts and finely chop or mince it yourself. It won't take long to do. I think it's not widely available because chicken deteriorates very quickly once it's minced.

USR Thu 08-Jan-15 19:32:11

I asked my local butcher once for it, and he did, reluctantly. The next time I asked, he explained that unless you do a large quantity, a lot of it gets lost in the machine so the output is actually a lot less than what you purchased. So I got my own mincer (look at Lakeland - it's a pasta maker but minces as well and it actually does work really well and actually it's the only thing I use it for. The red and white plastic one). So I think all the answers above are true - people don't buy it much, it goes off, but one other thing I think is that there is a risk of salmonella, so once they mince chicken, they have to thoroughly wash out the machine which is a hassle for a small quantity. This is my guess, though - I didn't ask the butcher.

Cumberlover76 Thu 08-Jan-15 21:40:01

Thanks USR you've spurred me on to get a mincer. One in Debenhams to £10 so will give it a go.

youbethemummylion Thu 08-Jan-15 21:43:09

Could you not use Turkey mince for your recipe? Widely available and cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now