Talk

Advanced search

What are your favourite hearty wintery vegetable dishes?

(17 Posts)
ScrambledSmegs Wed 07-Jan-15 10:31:48

It might be the result of the meat overload at Christmas, but I am craving veg like never before. So much so that I ate a bowl of steamed broccoli for breakfast hmm.

DH, enthusiastic carnivore that he is, doesn't believe that it's possible to make hearty dishes that will satisfy a man (another hmm ) completely out of vegetables, despite devouring my chilli sin carne in place of his con carne and not noticing the difference.

Btw I have the RC veg everyday book, but haven't been inspired by the one-pot dishes. Diana Henry's A Change of Appetite is on the cards though, but her ingredients list is currently not in keeping with frugal January intentions.

Can you help me? There are loads of tasty, filling, warming vegetarian dishes out there, I'm sure.

Beeblebum Wed 07-Jan-15 13:15:45

I use the Hugh FW Veg Everday book a lot - most of the recipes are on line too. Good hearty vegetable stew/soup recipes that have gone down well in largely meat eating household.

www.vapromag.co.uk/north-african-squash-chickpea-stew/ is one I use a lot.

Your DH is wrong.

My carnivorous dp will happily munch his way through:

mushroom and Stilton pie
lentil soup
any combination of curry
leek and potato pie
veggie chilli
mushroom pasta
mushroom stroganoff
bean soups
leek and potato soup
veggie Shepherd's pie

ScrambledSmegs Wed 07-Jan-15 17:45:17

Mushroom and stilton pie? Be still my beating heart. I'm meant to be on a diet, but for that I would go to the ends of the earth!

Don't know if I'd get him to eat it though. He is a loather of the blessed shrooms. Don't know why I married him!

ScrambledSmegs Wed 07-Jan-15 17:46:17

I do have the Hugh book but I just don't go crazy for the one-pot stuff in there. The pizzas and salads, yes. Not very warming at this time of year though.

It's so good!

Fry a red onion and a brown onion, roughly chopped, with a couple of crushed garlic cloves for a minute or two. Add some herbs - thyme works, or sage but whatever you fancy really. Add lots of sliced mushrooms (the big flat ones work really well). Cook. Add a big slosh of port or red wine and half a teaspoon or so of Marmite, plus lots of black pepper. Let the wine reduce a bit. Shove into a pie dish and crumble in a load of Stilton. Top with pastry, slash the top, shove in the oven until golden brown.

ninetynineonehundred Wed 07-Jan-15 18:06:57

Chickpea and sweet potato curry
Risotto primavera
Cauliflower cheese / veg cheese
Butternut squash soup
Sweetcorn chowder
Boston baked beans
Vegetable lasagna
French onion soup
Daal
Stuffed peppers
Baked stuffed squash
Any number of veg curries
Spinach and ricotta pancakes

aoife24 Wed 07-Jan-15 23:06:43

Potato and Celeriac gratin is easy and very tasty.

agoodbook Thu 08-Jan-15 11:18:50

Not totally vegetarian, but I do a casserole with borlotti beans and savoy cabbage ( it has a few bits of bacon in it ) that is very filling - it did come as a recipe with sauasges, but not necessary.
Lasagne made with roasted veg ( tomatoes/peppers/shallots/garlic /squash)
Fabulous risotto made with squash
www.antonio-carluccio.com/Risotto_di_Zucca

ScrambledSmegs Thu 08-Jan-15 15:43:10

Oh, I do love a risotto. I throw in some sage and some soft blue cheese in with my squash normally, it's amazing and very filling.

Although I'm trying to keep away from the excessively carby stuff at the moment, which is pretty hard when all I want to do is try out that recipe for veggie tartiflette with blue cheese and walnuts...

That reminds me, there's a recipe for low-carb tartiflette on here somewhere, isn't there? I made it once, it was delicious but the cheese was absolutely welded to my pan afterwards.

ScrambledSmegs Thu 08-Jan-15 15:44:17

Thanks Remus! I'm definitely going to make that soon. DH can learn to love mushrooms.

nilbyname Thu 08-Jan-15 15:52:46

I do a big tray roast of-

Red onion wedges
Butternut chunks
A few cloves of garlic
Carrots
Parsnips
Slosh in about a table spoonful of police oil, plenty of salt and pepper, some chilli flakes if you fancy it.
Then about ten mins before the end throw in some cherry toms, a slosh of balsamic vinegar, ripped basil leaves and a crumbling of feta/Stilton or what you fancy.

You could add some sausages for your dh!

pieceofpurplesky Thu 08-Jan-15 15:59:28

Cheese and potato pie please all Mine and is cheap! Mash potato and whatever strong cheese you have - the make a pie.

Also anyone remember this from school - my mum makes it (ex school cook) and gets asked to make it wherever she goes

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090204054025AA5St93

pieceofpurplesky Thu 08-Jan-15 16:00:12

Sorry on phone excuse typos!

Lunaballoon Thu 08-Jan-15 16:19:10

Another lovely wintery pie suggestion for you here. Leek and taleggio. Yum!

Loving this thread!

NinetyNine - I'd love your recipe for sweetcorn chowder, if you don't mind sharing.

The crumble on Luna's link looks amazing, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now