Talk

Advanced search

Butternut squash...

(11 Posts)
suddenlycupishalffull Tue 06-Jan-15 20:29:46

What do I do with it?! I normally bing it in slow cooker with some chickpeas to make a mild curry (have an increasingly picky 3.5 year old & an eat-anything 1 year old) but eldest always rejects this with YUK!! I'm all out of ideas, any suggestions? Sometimes I chop it up into chips but it's quite big so I'd like to use it as a main veggie dish somehow.

hoppus Tue 06-Jan-15 20:36:06

Soup? This one is nice www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/superb-squash-soup-with-the-best-parmesan-croutons/

This lasagna looks good but haven't tried it personally yet www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/67609/roast-pumpkin-and-spinach-lasagne

SaucyMare Tue 06-Jan-15 20:57:16

I just bung it in any caserole i am cooking.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 06-Jan-15 21:33:11

I peel, cook, puree it down through a potato ricer, add some plain yoghurt, seasoning and a little nutmeg and serve as a side dish to big fat sausages!

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 06-Jan-15 22:04:33

I microwave it, mash it, and put it in bread. Makes your bread all lovely and golden. And everyone eats it (instead of only me - nobody likes the texture. Harrumph.)

toffeeboffin Wed 07-Jan-15 01:57:34

Roast it for 45 mins with red onion, olive oil and garlic. Lush.

If you have leftovers, blend this with coconut milk and chicken stock for a gorgeous soup. Could add coriander and chilli if you fancy. I love butternut squash!

macnab Wed 07-Jan-15 12:07:57

I throw it into the oven whole, not peeled or cut or anything. When cooked, I open it up, discard the seeds and scoop out the insides. Mash with a little butter & seasoning (optional) and then add to a basic risotto with a big heap of grated parmesan - YUM smile

TheBooMonster Wed 07-Jan-15 19:49:03

mcnab how long does it take to cook in the oven like that and at what temperature?? cubing it raw is such a pain in the bum!!

CMOTDibbler Wed 07-Jan-15 19:51:34

I roast it in the oven, then stir into a risotto with chicken, leek and some sage.

Mrsstevejones Wed 07-Jan-15 21:01:59

I love butternut squash. I fry off lamb mince with garlic, onion and 2 tsp ras el hanout morrocan spice mix. Cook some rice separately with a lamb stock cube.
I cut the butternut squash in half, remove seeds and bake in oven for 30 mins or so. Allow to cool a little, scoop out flesh and mix rice, bns and mince. Pop back into shells and bake for 10 mins or so. Really lovely and you can spice it up, if you like it hot.

Otherwise gardon ramsey has an italian bns, carrot and pasta soup/stew thing. Lovely with garlic bread and grated cheese on top.
1 red onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 large carrots, 1 med bns cut into 1.5 cm cubes, 2 big pinches of dried thyme, 1 red chilli or flakes, 1.2l chicken stock, 75g pasta shapes, freshly grated parmesan to serve.

Sweat onions and garlic fora couple of mins. Add carrots and bns for a few mins. add thyme and chilli. Pour in stock and boil for 25 mins, add pasta and cook for another 10 mins. serve with cheese.

Otherwise chop into rings and roast in oven with loads of oil and garlic and when done then cut the skin off - loads easier than peeling the bloody thing. You can apparently eat it but i dont.

I love BNS as you can tell!!!

loveareadingthanks Fri 09-Jan-15 12:56:36

I don't bother peeling, just cut it into rings and throw in oven with a bit of oil to roast, or cut lengthways into quarters and do the same.

If you cut it lengthways you end up with a little 'cup' area and sometimes I fill that with something like a bit of leftover chilli/curry/pasta sauce/veggies/cheese/cooked rice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now