Talk

Advanced search

What to do with a bargain Pork Shoulder

(11 Posts)
whethertheweather Tue 06-Jan-15 17:36:51

Just went to Sainsburys and in the chuck out section I bagged a £13 free range pork shoulder joint for £4!

I've never cooked pork before and haven't a clue what to do with it but couldn't resist the bargain. The instructions on the label say to roast, but DH hates roast pork. So I need to make something else with it.

I have in my head that I could could it long and slow (I don't actually have a SC) and then turn it into a ragu/pasta sauce thing. I also know that the world seems currently obsessed with pulled pork, but not sure how to do that either....

I can't bear the thought that DH will come home tonight and say I've wasted my money, so suggestions and recipes really welcomed!

DelGirl Tue 06-Jan-15 17:41:09

Nigellas 24 hour pork.. delicious!

poocatcherchampion Tue 06-Jan-15 17:41:23

Pulled pork is basically sticking something on it -cayanne and possibly sugar and cooking it slowly for about 6h. I do it in the oven. It is delish.

The guardian had a great article on best ways to cook it - which is my reference point.

Dontwanttobeyourmonkeywench Tue 06-Jan-15 17:50:50

We had this for tea tonight with herby dumplings and it as lovely smile 10-15mins prep and then cooked slowly and the meat was falling apart. I stuck it on at 2 because I needed it to be ready for 5 because I thought DD had clubs tonight but thankfully she doesn't start back until next week grin Work well with pork chops as well smile

whethertheweather Tue 06-Jan-15 18:24:06

Nigella looks good but chiles are banned by DH. Can't persuade half the family to eat parsnips, or that would be great too!

Guardian pulled pork looks delish, or I found this: www.speciallyselectedpork.co.uk/braised-pork-ragu-detail-81. I shall ask DH which he might like to try.

It's dated to be used today hence the price, but I don't suppose I shall poison anyone if I actually do it tomorrow morning will I??

Dontwanttobeyourmonkeywench Tue 06-Jan-15 18:36:48

I substituted the parsnips for carrots and snuck in finely chopped green beans grin It will be fine so long as you keep it in the fridge and cook it tomorrow.

dingit Tue 06-Jan-15 18:40:38

I got a similar bargain in Tesco. There was another thread recommending Jamies pulled pork goulash which I'm going to try.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 06-Jan-15 19:04:55

I make a French style casserole of Pork Shoulder with Potato, Prunes and Apple.

- Trim any rind off the pork and cut into cubes
- In the base of a wide, shallow casserole dish or tagine get 2 sliced onions and some chopped garlic going
- Colour the pork pieces and season well
- Now place about 100g pitted prunes in amongst the pork and pour in enough cider to almost cover. Sprinkle in some fresh thyme
- Peel and thinly slice a large cooking apple and layer this over the top with a spoon of sugar.
- Peel and thinly slice enough potatoes to make a final overlapping layer
- Season again, dot the top with butter, cover and bake at about 170C for 1.5 hours.
- Remove the lid and keep baking for another 50 minutes so that the potatoes crisp up

MaryShelley Tue 06-Jan-15 19:06:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 06-Jan-15 21:31:19

For pulled pork....

- Preheat oven to 220C
- Pat the joint (about 1.5 - 2.0 kgs) dry and score the rind with plenty of slashes
- Mix 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar, 1 tablespoon smoked paprika and 1 tablespoon salt together. You can also add chilli, mustard, cumin, cayenne ..... lots of variations.
- Rub most of the spice mix into the pork and leave as long as possible before cooking
- Place a double thickness of foil in a roasting tin with enough spare to fold over the too eventually
- Place the pork on the foil and roast, uncovered, for 30 minutes
- Turn down the oven to 130C, seal the foil parcel and bake for about 4 -5 hours
- Give it a final crisp in a hot oven for 20 mins
- Remove the parcel and set aside for half an hour to rest
- To serve pull the meat apart with forks or spoons, sprinkle with more of the spice rub and pile into hot rolls with apple or barbecue sauce

whethertheweather Wed 07-Jan-15 11:50:53

Pulled pork currently in the oven. Smells excellent!

Thanks for all advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now