Talk

Advanced search

What should I do with sausages?

(15 Posts)
whatsagoodusername Tue 06-Jan-15 11:41:57

Not sausage and mash. We did that two days ago. No tomatoes. None of us eat them.

Any ideas? Thanks!

mumonashoestring Tue 06-Jan-15 11:47:54

Sausage casserole - sausage chunks cooked with sliced veggies in a sauce made with stock and thickened with cornflour, served with rice?

Toad in the hole with veg?

Squeeze the sausage meat out of the skins, add extra herbs/seasoning and form it into patties that you can have as meatballs or burgers?

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Tue 06-Jan-15 11:49:54

I use this recipe to feed 6 of us, 2 adults, 2 children.

6 sausages (I love honey mustard ones)
3 leeks, chopped into big chunks
3 big carrots chopped into big chunks
1 big courgette, chopped into big chunks
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2-3 sweet potatoes chopped into big chunks
as many mushrooms as you can eat
Stock is approx 500ml made up with 2 veg or chicken stock cubes
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons worstershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Squeeze of tomato puree (leave out if you don't like it)
spoon of mixed herbs.

If you want you can brown the sausages first, depends on my humour whether I do! Otherwise, bung everything in a pot and simmer for about an hour. If it looks a bit too watery I leave the lid off for it to boil down a bit, I like it thick-ish but you can go by your own taste, ditto with the seasonings. I serve it with rice or crusty bread. It's one of those dishes that's fantastic a day later and it freezes well.

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Tue 06-Jan-15 11:50:24

Cross post!

FluffyRedSocks Tue 06-Jan-15 11:51:05

Try the hairy bikers sausage casserole, it's amazing!

silverjohnleggedit Tue 06-Jan-15 20:32:29

I liked the look of this

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/quick_sausage_casserole_96047

My usual sausage thing is - red onion fried, garlic, smoked paprika, chopped sausage, chickpeas, canned tomatoes, fresh thyme - if possible.

TyneTeas Tue 06-Jan-15 20:39:10

How about sausages with potato curry?

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/potato-andor-cauliflower-curry.html

or sticky onions to make sausage and chips feel a bit more posh : )

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/sticky-onions.html

TyneTeas Tue 06-Jan-15 20:40:25

(sorry just reread and noticed no tomatoes - the curry won't be for you then!)

slippermaiden Tue 06-Jan-15 20:45:36

Sausage pasta. Cook the sausages as normal so they are browned. Cut into bite size pieces. In the meantime fry a chopped half onion, half a ton of chopped tomatoes, a few olives and a thing of garlic. After about 6 mins add the chopped sausages, mix, add in cooked pasta shapes. Voila. I like a bit of chilli with this one wink

slippermaiden Tue 06-Jan-15 20:46:47

Okay you don't eat tomatoes. Use whatever you might use in a pasta dish, mushrooms, courgettes

endoflevelbaddy Tue 06-Jan-15 20:50:03

There's a Jamie Oliver recipe I've done for a sausage spaghetti carbonara that's really good.
Or slit them down one side and put a bit of pesto in then sit on top of a tray of Mediterranean veg, sprinkle with Parmesan and black pepper and roast until everything's cooked. Yummy with cous cous and / or salad. In fact that's going on this weeks menu grin

zgaze Tue 06-Jan-15 20:52:11

peaceloveandlowcarb.com/2012/11/lentil-and-italian-sausage-soup.html

This is the single most delicious recipe in the history of the world, we make a huge vat about once every two weeks. I just use a pack of ordinary sausages (strongly flavoured ones work well) and squeeze the meat out of the skins.

Also really like nigel slaters sausage and lentil stew and Jamie Oliver's jools pregnant pasta.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I love sausages.

ShatterResistant Tue 06-Jan-15 20:52:39

Ooh, we love this sausage pasta but I don't know how to do a link! www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/proper-blokes-sausage-fusilli/

whatsagoodusername Wed 07-Jan-15 11:19:22

Thanks for all of these! DH and the DC really likes sausage but we are all getting bored of the sausage and mash standard. We will try them out!

MelanieCheeks Wed 07-Jan-15 11:22:13

We are having Tom Kerridges sausage and bean casserole with savoy cabbage pesto tonight - it was on the Good Food show last week.

Another favourite is Nigel Slater's sausage and mustard sauce, though it's quite heavy on the cream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now