Talk

Advanced search

Tell me your family meals please

(5 Posts)
hillyhilly Mon 05-Jan-15 22:14:41

We (me, dh, and 9&7 yr olds) are eating dinner together more but I'm struggling for meals we will all eat.
Dh doesn't like fish, kids avoid veg (& do does dh given half a chance), kids don't eat spice, and I'm trying to eat healthily to lose weight, argh!!!
Stir fry would be rejected, so many recipes contain onion and peppers which dd won't eat although she will pick them out.
The three of them are more than happy with bangers and mash, roast chicken, chops and potatoes - very traditional type foods which I'm not a fan of at all and which are not low fat.
We all eat spag bol, and "chilli" and tonight had a tomatoey chicken meal that went down well, but I'm already a bit stumped for tomorrow.

silverjohnleggedit Tue 06-Jan-15 07:26:27

Just eat the traditional meals and swap some of the starchy additions for more veg - you don't need to eat low fat to lose weight.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 06-Jan-15 13:36:14

I think you have to change approach. You're not running a hotel restaurant. If you try to cater for all the fussy habits of your family you'll end up with a very restricted and unhealthy diet. The approach therefore has to be to serve up a variety of good healthy food which includes vegetables, onions, peppers, spice, fish etc and expect it to get eaten... no whining allowed. Serve small portions so that if something gets left behind it's not a train smash. (DH has to grow up and eat veg... set a good example)

We eat a lot chunky soups with bread, filled omelettes (frittata/Spanish), grilled skewers with meat and vegetables, grilled fish/chicken/gammon with salad or vegetables, sausages with various things, light curries (not the creamy sort), pasta bakes (made with tomato rather than cheesy sauces), jacket potatoes with toppings, fajitas, stir-fries .....

But change approach or it's a rod for your own back

GraysAnalogy Tue 06-Jan-15 13:39:42

Slimming world recipes are really good if you'd like to give them a go.

I also like 'mini pizzas'. I get a wholemeal pitta bread, tomato puree for the tomato base, chopped baby bell, ham and whatever veg topping. Serve with a salad or wedges made from quartered new potato and carrot

SuperGlue Thu 08-Jan-15 20:09:28

We have a super fussy dd (9) but over the years I have worked hard on her and now we have a sort of rotation of meals she enjoys and we all eat them together. Then I freezer individual portions for her and on nights when dh is late or we are eating something she really does not like I whip out a homemade dinner from the freezer for her. It has made mealtimes SO much more relaxed and I have found that she is more willing to try new things in the past 6mths or so. Whether this is due to the fact that the pressure is off her a bit or she is just growing up I can't say. Anyway, as a family we eat the following together:

Roast chicken with the usual sides
Chicken curry with rice & poppadoms
Bolognaise with pasta and parmesan and olives on the side
Homemade meatballs with fresh cherry tomato and white wine sauce, pasta
chilli & rice with cheddar and sour cream
high tea (bacon, egg, sausage etc)
tomato soup
Carrot and coriander soup
chicken in a creamy tomato and basil sauce with pasta
pasta with mushroom and parma ham
pancakes with crispy bacon and maple syrup
fish & chips (takeaway!)
homemade pizza

It is still a work in progress but I am ok with how she is doing so far considering her starting point..I always have a stock of bolognaise / chilli / curry in the freezer so all I have to do is cook the rice / pasta fresh for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now