Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

slow-cooker meals that aren't stew/ casserole-type

(21 Posts)
BL00CowWonders Mon 05-Jan-15 15:27:40

We're about to lose our kitchen for a while, and although we have a slow cooker, no one is very keen on stews. I'm happy to make eg bolognaise and chili, but is there anything obvious I'm missing?

toofarfromcivilisation Mon 05-Jan-15 15:28:58

Joints of meat?

Mrsgrumble Mon 05-Jan-15 15:30:35

A curry would be great

momb Mon 05-Jan-15 15:30:45

baked potatoes, roasts?

PotteringAlong Mon 05-Jan-15 15:31:51

Curry using curry paste

Gammon

Lasagne!

BL00CowWonders Mon 05-Jan-15 15:33:57

momb - baked pots???
not sure how that would work blush it sounds like it should be quite straightforward?

Rednosedevdil Mon 05-Jan-15 15:36:31

Pulled pork is a firm favourite in this house.
The method I use is to cook a shoulder or some loin chops in a mug of cola for 4-6 hours on high / drain reserving half a mug of liquid / shred the pork with 2 forks then mix in about half a bottle of commercial BBQ sauce and the reserved liquid / cook for a further hour.
Not a meal but chocolate fudge is a good treat if it all gets a bit stressful!

Rednosedevdil Mon 05-Jan-15 15:37:17

Pottering how do you do lasagne?

Mrsgrumble Mon 05-Jan-15 15:38:11

Soup

Starlightbright1 Mon 05-Jan-15 15:42:01

we have satay chicken cooking at the mo...

Chicken ,onion, peppers, small salad potatoes, peanut butter and coconut milk..

I do baked potatoes but not as nice as oven imo but much nicer than microwave. Spay with pil and pop them in...People put salt on but we have low salt here.

PotteringAlong Mon 05-Jan-15 15:49:27

Layer it up in the slow cooker bowl as you would in a cooking tray for the oven. Turn it on low for 5 hours or so!

PulpsNotFiction Mon 05-Jan-15 15:57:40

Whole chicken with a lemon stuffed up it
Leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary
Gammon joint in brown sugar or coke or ginger beer
Spare ribs
Pulled pork
Curry: Thai/Indian/Chinese (can cheat and just use a cook in sauce)

nannynome Mon 05-Jan-15 16:00:31

I have a beef brisket on at the min, onions, apricots, oxo cube, bbq seasoning, red wine vinegar, apricot preserves, garlic, pint or so of stock and cook on low for about 8 hours and then shred into the juice at the bottom. Great with mash or pasta

BL00CowWonders Mon 05-Jan-15 16:04:38

I'm most interested in the whole joints of meat or chicken. But what needs to go under? I don't want sloppy, but also don't want things to stick.

RayBloodyPurchase Mon 05-Jan-15 16:06:49

There's a FB page called 'slow cooked wonders' that has loads of great ideas, it's a closed group so you have to 'join' but anyone can.

RayBloodyPurchase Mon 05-Jan-15 16:08:03

All the recipes are in 'files' btw if you join, I spent ages scrolling through posts before I realised that!

loveareadingthanks Wed 07-Jan-15 16:01:53

We do loads of joints of meat in ours, probably more than stew type meals.

I put in a layer of thick onion slices and rest meat on that. Add a small amount of liquid (only an inch or so) which could be stock, wine, beer etc. Cook away. I find it best not to cook all day - 2 hours on high then 2 hours on low seems to do the trick for most things, if you aren't around to turn it down then adjust those times.

Did delicious pork in cider and plum sauce last time. Pork joint (still frozen straight from freezer), balancing on top of onions, chopped up a couple of plums that were hanging around from Christmas, half a small bottle of cider, liberal random herbs all over the pork. Cooked on high for 2 hours, low for 3 hours, perfect. Beautiful juicy pork, and I used the liquid at the bottom to make the gravy.

Lamb joints, gammon joints, also come out fantastic. Just bung them in, tiny bit of liquid, add some flavours with herbs/spices/marinating meat first, and let them get on with it.

We use it to cook a gammon joint we then slice up when cold as use as ham for sarnies and so on.

Chicken also comes out well and very moist, but with white/flabby skin, so not as attractive as roasted.

Another favourite is one of those turkey thigh joints in that net stocking thing. Leave the stocking on, rub jerk spice on the meat, cook for about 3-4 hours, gorgeous.

Beef is about the only thing I wouldn't cook as a dry joint in there, maybe a brisket, but not otherwise.

sashh Wed 07-Jan-15 19:36:08

I just put joints in with nothing, I did duck last month - asked on here to check because it is very fatty but I just put a ball of foil under to keep it out of the fat.

I suppose I could have put potatoes underneath.

whatsagoodusername Thu 08-Jan-15 09:39:00

I do a thin layer of onion under meat usually, but I've done it without, and no liquid, and it's been fine.

Norfolkandchance1234 Fri 09-Jan-15 10:09:39

I cook baked potatoes in my slow cooker and whole frozen chickens if I'm desperate. Chicken breasts with a tin of Campbell's condensed mushroom soup.

WowWowSauce Sat 10-Jan-15 17:59:07

I usually do joints of meat. Gammon and a tin of pineapple or pineapple juice, in addition to the other suggestions above. Or a brisket, maybe with tinned tomatoes and garlic?

Always comes out beautifully. The gammon falls apart smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now