Talk

Advanced search

Is there a batchcook recipe thread please?

(4 Posts)
nonsense0name Mon 05-Jan-15 14:08:01

In the spirit of New Year and being more organised please post your best batch cook recipes or point me to a link if we already have a thread.

I am ok with bolognaise and tomato pasta sauce but I'd like something with chicken and a beef stew (easy) recipe if you have one please.

Thanks smile

Toizzy Mon 05-Jan-15 19:38:11

I've done a few dishes for the freezer with chicken mainly from bbc good food site i think.
Things like chicken and white bean stew, chicken gumbo, chicken and bacon one pot.
They were all very nice smile

Theas18 Mon 05-Jan-15 19:50:00

Staples here are chorizo veg chilli- frizzle chopped chorizo then sweat onions in the oil , add misc chopped veg - peppers celery courgette etc( lots ) and tinned tomatoes ( blob of lazy chili and garlic couple of stock cubes ) and kidney beans/ chick peas ( usually a tin of each) and cook till done...

I usually make a full big le creuset or large slow cooker full.

Ditto veg curry - we've just had a good one - onions frizzled with parks curry paste of choice, loads of veg ( cheaty one today - couple of bags of aldi soup mix veg) and a large much of red lentils. Splodge garlic and chili if wanted and stock cubes. Long slow cook and yum!

Also cooked a barley stew last night - pearl barley, veg, herbs, stock cubes. I'll serve that with dumplings I think.

We are nearly veggie a lot of the time in the week as these dishes are so easy - we all get in late and odd tines sometimes so can have " real" food easily. At the weekend I might do. Roast, but again I'll do a large one and we'll have it for several meals.

agoodbook Tue 06-Jan-15 16:50:53

I love chicken done in 40 cloves of garlic- done with chicken thighs/drumsticks - I tend to do a lot at a time when they are on offer smile to freeze
its here - not sure if its still up on the internet
Ingredients
2 tablespoons regular olive oil
8 chicken thighs (with skin on and bone in), preferably organic
6 shallots
8 to 10 sprigs fresh thyme
40 cloves garlic (approximately 3 to 4 heads), unpeeled
2 tablespoons dry white vermouth or white wine
3/4 teaspoons table salt
Good grinding pepper
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat the oil on the top in a wide, shallow ovenproof and flameproof casserole dish (that will ultimately fit all the chicken in one layer, and that has a lid), and sear the chicken over a high heat, skin-side down. This may take 2 batches, so transfer the browned pieces to a bowl as you go.

Once the chicken pieces are seared, transfer them all to the bowl. Finely slice the shallots, put them into the casserole dish and quickly stir-fry them with the leaves torn from a few sprigs of thyme.

Put 20 of the unpeeled cloves of garlic (papery excess removed) into the pan, top with the chicken pieces skin-side up, then cover with the remaining 20 cloves of garlic. Add the vermouth (or white wine) to any oily, chickeny juices left in the bowl. Swish it around and pour this into the pan too. Sprinkle with the salt, grind over the pepper, and add a few more sprigs of thyme. Put on the lid and cook in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now