Talk

Advanced search

Making your own stock

(5 Posts)
msrisotto Sun 04-Jan-15 15:46:34

Hi smile

I'm really pleased with my relatively recent discovery of slow cooking a whole chicken, then making stock with the remains overnight. Super low hassle and really tasty stock. (Although my slow cooker is relatively small so I don't get much - can I stretch it out by adding water afterwards?)

So, I really want to make my own beef stock. Do you do this? How do you get the bones? When I buy beef, it is usually without the bones. Do you have any handy recipes for a sunday roast or something including the bones which can easily be made into stock afterwards?

msrisotto Sun 04-Jan-15 15:47:38

Wish I could edit my post. - Does getting about 1 litre of chicken stock from one chicken sound reasonable? Or could I get more if it wasn't for the size of my slow cooker?

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Sun 04-Jan-15 16:45:31

1L sounds a reasonable amount for one chicken and I usually reduce mine a lot otherwise it's a bit bland. Then boost it with some wine when I use it.
You're doing well if yours is tasty to start with, and yes, you could stretch it with water.

I haven't made beef stock, but maybe a rib roast? Or I'm sure butchers sell bones, or even give them away if you buy other stuff from them.

WaitingForMe Sun 04-Jan-15 17:05:47

I've never paid for beef bones. Just ask your butcher for them.

msrisotto Sun 04-Jan-15 17:49:20

Thanks, yeah i'll have to start buying meat from an actual butchers then and ask for bones! Hope it won't be too much more expensive than the supermarket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now