Talk

Advanced search

Roasting nuts

(7 Posts)
riverwell Sat 03-Jan-15 09:17:59

I have a new bag of hazelnuts which have their skins on (not shells though). I fancy roasting them and wondered if anyone could provide some advice or tips. Also how long do they last after roasting and do you tend to have them once cooled down? Recipe / snack ideas would be great too.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 03-Jan-15 10:20:32

You can roast nuts quite easily in a heavy frying pan. Keep them constantly moving by tossing them about so that they don't catch and burn. They're done when they smell toasted. If you want to add salt, spray them with a little oil towards the end and that makes the salt stick better. Best served warm and freshly cooked. They keep OK in an airtight jar.

OpiesOldLady Sat 03-Jan-15 10:23:02

Or you can pop them in a slow cooker in you have one. I like cinnamon and honey roasted cashews, but you can put anything you like in, really.

riverwell Sat 03-Jan-15 15:35:41

Thanks for those ideas. I don't have a slow cooker, but could I stick them in the oven? I have an aga but haven't a clue how long they would take.

boxoftissues Sat 03-Jan-15 15:41:39

Yes low oven toss and turn occasionally probably take around 30 mins

574ejones Sat 03-Jan-15 16:00:01

opies how long do you roast nuts for in the slow cooker, and would you add the seasoning/spice at the beginning?

OpiesOldLady Sat 03-Jan-15 18:14:59

Here you go -

www.52kitchenadventures.com/2011/05/23/slow-cooker-monday-sweet-spicy-roasted-nuts/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now