Advanced search

Share your tried and tested recipes with me please

(11 Posts)

So bored of eating the same things, and dp needs to extend his cooking repertoire!

I'm looking for really good recipes for:

black bean soup

anything involving lentils which is vegetarian but not dhal/curry/soup

vegetable bakes/gratins

the best ever stuffed peppers

any other veggie things which you really rate, but which don't contain mushrooms or tomatoes.

Thank you. smile

CogitOIOIO Wed 31-Dec-14 23:15:22

Spiced Beanburgers

6oz cooked/canned chickpeas, drained
1 tablespoon rolled oats
1 egg
1/2 onion
1 small carrot, grated
Chilli powder to taste
Fresh parsley

This is easiest done with a mini food processor.
- First finely chop the onion and then fry off in a little oil
- Process the chickpeas, oats & parsley until they resemble breadcrumbs
- Combine everything with the egg, mix well, season, add chilli powder to taste and then leave to one side for 20 minutes to allow the egg to be absorbed a little
- Finally, for into patties and shallow fry for a few minutes each side until cooked through and golden

Variations are to use kidney beans instead of chickpeas, different spices or to include some nuts/seeds in the mix.

Perfect. Thank you. smile

CogitOIOIO Wed 31-Dec-14 23:31:17

Stuffed Peppers. My favourite stuffing is a combination of cooked quinoa grain, crumbled feta, chopped cherry tomatoes, blanched fine beans and black olives. Best tip is that, after you've prepared the peppers and before stuffing, place them in a dish with a very small amount of water, cover with clingfilm and microwave for a minute or two until tender. Means the peppers and filling bake evenly.

Yep, I do the microwave thing already.

Adore feta and do that for myself a lot (mash feta with red onion, herbs and olive oil and use to stuff the peppers) but the dds won't eat it. Never tried quinoa - do I want to?

pregnantpause Thu 01-Jan-15 10:50:15

Potato and parsnip gratin- slice potatoes, parsnips and and onion thinly, chop handful of parsley and mix all veg , and parsley with salt and pepper in a casserole, and arrange roughly so that a potato layer is on the top. Make up enough veg stock to cover and stir in a tablespoon of marmite to the hot stock to add more savour. Pour over veg and bake in hot oven

Lovely - that sounds much healthier than the usual cream filled celeriac one we do! Thank you.

pregnantpause Thu 01-Jan-15 10:57:46

Sorry posted accidentally when shouting at a child shock I bake in oven at about 200 for half an hour then add grated cheese to the top for the last fifteen- I leave uncovered so that a third of the stock evaporates and the top layer is crispy roasted and black on the edges, and the bottom is soft and saucy. If I want it to look good a sprinkling of parsley on top at the end fulfils that smile

smile Delicious!

Theweek Tue 20-Jan-15 20:40:21

Marking thread. Trying reduce meat in our diet and these recipes sound lovely!

catrin Tue 20-Jan-15 22:06:58

Pasta OK?
Tried HFW's kale and mushroom lasagne yesterday and very nice it was too. I also REALLY LOVE Simon Rimmer's cannelloni, just lovely.
Ching he huang does a tofu/edamame thing which is nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now