Talk

Advanced search

Can this recipe REALLY be right?

(5 Posts)
Halsall Wed 31-Dec-14 11:38:20

I fancy making a chocolate-orange cake as my contribution to a get-together, and I've found a recipe that looks good. However, it seems to call for an enormous amount of cocoa powder. 150g!

I can't believe this is right. I've got a whole tin of the stuff that's only 125g, and the recipe otherwise seems standard: 7oz each of butter, sugar and flour.

Would be grateful if anyone chips in with an opinion. The recipe is here.

TIA

SunshineOnARainyDay Wed 31-Dec-14 11:45:52

Hmm, that does sound like a lot of cocoa powder! This recipe for a chocolate orange cake from the BBC Good Food website has only 25g of cocoa powder in the recipe which seems more accurate to me.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1356/dark-chocolate-and-orange-cake

TheWhispersOfTheGods Wed 31-Dec-14 11:50:16

Sounds about right to me. Chocolate cake should have about half the flour weight be cocoa or it doesn't taste like chocolate. The actual chocolate, and orange juice will make up for the drying effect of the cocoa, as will the sugar syrup.

are there children eating it? I'd switch the dark chocolate for milk or it will be quite bitter and dark with both dark chocolate and cocoa, which is what i do.

Halsall Wed 31-Dec-14 12:06:36

Thanks, both. Still not convinced.....with the cocoa, that makes 350g of dry ingredients hmm. I've never made anything that involves using an entire tin of cocoa plus another 25g extra!

XBoxTesting Wed 31-Dec-14 12:10:05

An alternative, if you have the ingredients, is Nigella's chocolate orange cake.
The people on this thread found it dry, but I think you just have to err on the light side of timings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now