Talk

Advanced search

Easy lunch for 14 - is this even possible....?

(11 Posts)
nonsense0name Tue 30-Dec-14 13:54:50

Please can you help - I need to cook/provide food for 14 next week and I am at a total loss and beginning to panic.

I can cook basics but don't want to be in the kitchen all morning, also I can't seat 14 so it needs to be a dish that will keep whilst we take turns to eat or that can be eaten standing up - so maybe a buffet thing but lots of little dishes seems very fiddly.

Any suggestions gratefully received smile

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Tue 30-Dec-14 14:07:51

I think a big casserole or chilli is often the easiest thing - a full on buffet can be a lot of work. Chilli with rice or baked potatoes (or wedges might be easier if people are eating standing up actually), grated cheese, garlic bread, tortilla chips and dips like salsa. guacamole, soured cream and maybe a big bowl of green salad is reasonably easy to prepare. Or a tagine type casserole served with couscous (and maybe a simple green salad)

The other option is to roast a big piece of pork and do hot pork rolls. You could serve that with a big pot of coleslaw and again a green salad if you wanted.

Do you have any veggies to cater for?

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Tue 30-Dec-14 14:10:12

Oh and apple sauce with the pork obviously smile

zippyandbungle Tue 30-Dec-14 14:16:13

I would do chilli, look for a slow cook recipe and you can do it first thing and forget about it. Or this is lovely thegreedyfork.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/chinese-sticky-beef.html?m=1

FourthMary Tue 30-Dec-14 14:22:01

On boxing day for similar numbers we did a roast chicken and roast pork, with crusty bread (those part baked rolls). A bowl of stuffing and jar of apple sauce. Went down very well and was minimal effort and mostly done before they all arrived.

nonsense0name Tue 30-Dec-14 14:26:22

thank you thank you

I was making it far to complicated, a big pan of something lush is all that I need so chilli is a winner as I can just quadruple the recipe I usually make....
although also love the idea of pulled meat, I followed your link zippy and it links to pulled beef which sounds fab (also I have brisket in the freezer)

smile

nonsense0name Tue 30-Dec-14 14:30:57

roast chickens in rolls - fab idea, everyone likes chicken...more child friendly for the ones I am cooking for I think, I like the idea of stuffing on the side too....thanks smile

Chillycamper Tue 30-Dec-14 14:44:41

Chilli can look great with guacamole, sour cream and tortilla chips as sides.
People will eat less salad than you'd think IME

This Nigella recipe goes down well. It's made with cubes of beef and chorizio
www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120847124

Her fully loaded potatoe skins are great too.

Of course if you have a chilli recipe already best to stick with that rather than experiment when you have the hordes coming over!

The more you can do in advance the better.

2 slow cookers - one meat chilli and one veggie / tortilla chips / salsa / cheese / green salad / soured cream / guacamole. Couple of French sticks = no need for rice. Sorted.

nonsense0name Mon 05-Jan-15 14:02:37

Thanks all smile

I went for roast chicken, baked ham, rolls and salad with everyone helping themselves.

Happy New Year

nonsense0name Mon 05-Jan-15 14:04:14

Thanks allsmile

I went for roasted chickens, a baked ham, rolls and salad, tortilla chips and crisps - success

Happy New Year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now