Talk

Advanced search

Easy fish recipes?

(11 Posts)
AlpacaYourThings Mon 29-Dec-14 22:55:45

A friend is coming over with his fiancée who is a pescetarian. I don't eat fish... I have only ever cooked fish cakes. confused

Any suggestions of something easy I can make?

I was thinking of doing a small buffet selection of food for everyone so will have a few veggie and meat options.

MoonlightandRoses Mon 29-Dec-14 23:04:19

Easiest methods I've found are:

1) boil fillet in milk with some salt, peppercorns and bay leaf or;
2) Place fish on tinfoil, liberally anoint with lime juice, salt, dill and a small dash of pepper, close foil over, chuck in oven at 180C until cooked (i.e. fish stops looking translucent and looks 'solid' instead - anywhere from 8-15 mins depending on size)

concretefeet Mon 29-Dec-14 23:49:34

How about a dish of kedgeree.
If you are doing buffet you could put out bhajis, vegetable samosas,mini naans, popadums and manjo chutney as easy vegetarian bits.

TyneTeas Tue 30-Dec-14 00:23:49

If you are doing a buffet then I wouldn't worry too much about fish dishes, as the pescatarian will eat the vegetarian things (pescatarian = will eat not must eat).

But if you do want to put fish stuff out, then it doesn't need to be comlicated - how about some prawn cocktail (either get a jar or sachet of sauce or mix some mayonnaise with tomato puree and maybe pinch of paprika) or slices of smoked salmon (or mix some cream cheese with lemon zest and put some on slices roll up and slice) with slices of wholemeal toast

or eg some tuna mayonnaise sarnies

or some of the frozen party foods the supermarkets do, stick a tray of filo prawns or sesame prawn toasts in the oven

Lunaballoon Tue 30-Dec-14 06:49:14

Teriyaki salmon is an easy crowd pleaser and goes well with buffet style salads.

JamNan Tue 30-Dec-14 07:16:10

smoked mackerel and horseradish sauce. You don't even have to cook it. Serve with potato salad.

AlpacaYourThings Tue 30-Dec-14 13:36:53

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I've realised I don't even know what fish she likes, so will need to get DH to find out.

I was a veggie for years so the vegetarian food will be really easy. DH and his friend will want mainly meat so that will also be easy. I'm normally very confident in the kitchen but this has really got me!

Is cooking fish difficult? I've heard it's hard to make sure it doesn't dry out.

BikeRunSki Tue 30-Dec-14 13:40:10

Just because she does eat fish, it doesn't mean she had to! I am pescaterian and would be very happy with a vegetarian buffet.

BikeRunSki Tue 30-Dec-14 13:40:46

"Has" not "had".

Caillou Tue 30-Dec-14 13:44:06

My easiest and tasty recipe is

Grate some carrots, courgettes and celery, cook them in a frying pan in a bit of butter.

Place salmon fillet on a foil, add a dollop of creme fraiche on top of the fish, and some of the vegs you have just cooked in the butter.

Close the foil and place it for 20/25mins in the oven.

Very quick and nice grin

AlpacaYourThings Tue 30-Dec-14 14:06:12

I know, Bike but I would like to.

Thanks Calliou that sounds relatively easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now