Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can I have some new ideas please?

(3 Posts)
MozzchopsThirty Mon 29-Dec-14 21:50:25

Back to healthy eating in the new year for upcoming holiday!

So bored of cooking the same meals, need to be no/low carb in the evening

Our usual meals are:

Quorn chilli
Chilli pasta
Chicken stir fry
Fish and rosted veg

Yawn confused please give me some inspiration

mrspremise Mon 29-Dec-14 23:00:11

( smile Please forgive me if I've screwed up the low-carb thing)

Country Captain

1 large onion, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
500 g chicken thighs, boned and skinned
400 ml tin coconut milk
4 carrots
2 tbsp smooth mango chutney
2 tbsp sultanas
1 tbsp lime juice

For the spice mix:
     1 tsp ground coriander
     1 tsp ground cumin
     1 tsp ground turmeric
     ½ tsp chilli flakes
     ¼ tsp black pepper and the same of ground ginger

Start the onion frying gently in a little oil. After about five minutes add the garlic and the spice mix. Fry briefly then add 300 ml of water. Bring to a simmer, stirring, and let the mixture bubble away gently until most, but not quite all, of the water has evaporated. 

Cut each of the chicken thighs in two. Add the chicken pieces to the onion and spice mix and stir them around for a minute or two. Pour in the coconut milk, bring to a simmer, stirring, and allow to cook gently for 30 minutes until the chicken is tender. If the mixture starts to dry out, then cover the pan.

Meanwhile, peel the carrots and cut into smallish chunks. Steam or boil the carrots until just tender. Stir in the cooked carrots, the mango chutney, the sultanas and the lime juice. Season with a little salt. Reheat, stir in some chopped fresh parsley and serve with rice and Indian flatbreads. Pass yoghurt, mango chutney and hot lime pickle separately, if liked.

MozzchopsThirty Tue 30-Dec-14 09:17:03

Ooh thank you, love the sound of that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now