Talk

Advanced search

Books for teenager on going vegetarian.

(9 Posts)
Frikadellen Mon 29-Dec-14 16:58:35

DD2 has said she wishes to go vegetarian. It is no big surprise I have suspected since she was about 4 she one day would do. (Never been a great meat eater much prefers vegetables)

I am a confident cook and the prospect of making vegetarian food for her whilst the rest of us remains meat eaters is not a big deal.

However she turns 15 next week and the reality is that in a few years she will be out and about looking after herself. SO I was wondering if there was any recommendation on books for her birthday that talks in a more teen language about how to ensure she is getting enough nutrients. I don't want her to turn into a baked beans and cheese " vegetarian" I looked on Amazon and one book looked interesting (A Teen's Guide to Going Vegetarian) However it was written in 1994 so I wondered if there was anything more up to date that people can recommend?
I suspect once she goes vegetarian fully she will never return to meat.

On a positive point it has given dh and I the intensive to go back to having 1/2 vegetarian meals a week again (something we used to do but stopped when I started working full time back in May)

Edie21 Mon 29-Dec-14 17:40:34

I have two vegetarian daughters and so we mainly eat vegetarian as a family now. Two of the books we (and they)use a lot are:
The vegetarian student cookbook (Hamlyn)
Sam sterns 'eat vegetarian' although looking on amazon that seems to be out of print at the moment.
rose Elliott has done several vegetarian books and is a good start.

catsofa Mon 29-Dec-14 17:46:31

The Vegetarian Society have loads of great info and publications.

Frikadellen Mon 29-Dec-14 20:34:58

Thank you Edie I am looking at those on Amazon smile

Catsofa the vegetarian society is great but most are downloads and I actually want something to give to her smile (I use the VS for cooking for us fairly regular smile and agree it is a great site)

catsofa Mon 29-Dec-14 22:08:15

Can anyone recommend a good basic curry book? The one I used has been out of print for ages, but being able to make curry to the point of being able to experiment and use up leftovers in curries was very useful when I went veggie.

Onykahonie Mon 29-Dec-14 23:33:22

I'm vegetarian, with 2 veggie-from-birth teen daughters. We have loads of cookbooks, but as others have said, Rose Elliot books are a good starting point. Also try veggie blogs like:

theveggiepolyglotographer.blogspot.co.uk/
www.veggieteenscookbook.com/

I also write a veggie blog (details in profile).

TwoLittleTerrors Tue 30-Dec-14 03:19:38

Madhur Jaffery has a new book last year called vegetarian curry easy. Another great find I had last year is Anna Jones's a modern way to eat. They aren't 'student' cookbooks though.

Frikadellen Tue 30-Dec-14 13:30:37

TY everyone I am sure as dd gets older she will begin reading blogs and expanding her cook book selection (if she is anything like her mother it will run into the hundreds smile ) However right now I am looking for something just to ease her into it and gaining understanding. I have told her she has to research. However she is also doing GCSE's and I am aware just saying go to the internet is likely to make her not do so. Hence I felt a basic book is a good start.

She likes Tofu so that is a good basic for other things. She is not keen on quorn though. (thankfully as I don't care for the smell)

Onykahonie Tue 30-Dec-14 19:46:49

In that case, I think I'd go for Rose Elliot's New Complete Vegetarian...it's a big book with lots of nutritional info and basic cooking methods/ingredients.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now