Talk

Advanced search

Recipes that you wish a relative hadn't taken to their grave

(5 Posts)
DustBunnyFarmer Sun 28-Dec-14 20:10:34

This came up in conversation about family favourites recently and a friend said her grandmother had taken her family's favourite biscuit recipe to her grave, having never written it down or gifted it to a relative who could have passed it on. Has this happened to anyone else & what is it that you are missing? I miss my Grandma's pasties, mainly because she was so good at the pastry.

JamNan Mon 29-Dec-14 15:22:27

My Auntie J's bread and butter pudding with currants. It was so light and fluffy - I don't know how she did it.

My Nan's rabbit pie.

My Mum's Christmas pud (but she's not gone to her grave yet). Better get the recipe soonish.

Pixa Mon 29-Dec-14 16:20:58

We have a family recipe which is passed down and adapted, then passed down and adapted again. Everyone puts their own spin on it. I would love to taste the original version. It's underroast - a poor miner's meal.

Patilla Mon 29-Dec-14 16:31:44

My nan's chewy chocolate crispy slices.

They were rice Krispy bases and I wonder if they had something like dates in with chocolate topping but I can't find a recipe from anywhere.

Probably came from a magazine originally but it was my favourite as a child.

SmileAndNod Mon 29-Dec-14 17:22:06

My great grans beef stew. It was delicious. I've never had stew like it. And her apple pie. Twas amazing - lovely pastry and no soggy bottom in sight. I've tried (and failed) to replicate both. I so wish I had the recipe. My mum has her hand written recipe book but it contains neither!

All the recipes I make, I've written in a folder so that one day my children can have them (if they so wish). Nothing fancy, just cakes and the recipe for their daddy's favourite thingssmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now