Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarian dish to go with beef bourguignon - what

(14 Posts)
twofalls Sun 28-Dec-14 11:21:11

Have one veggie for NYE. Am planning on doing beef borg for meat eaters with green beans and mash. Ideally a make in advance, stick on hob recipe as we are out during the day. Any ideas?

Any ideas? Thought about a lentilly squash thing.

snowaccidentprone Sun 28-Dec-14 11:31:49

Make a lentil shepherds pie with the mash?

Tbh I'm not sure squash would go with mash.

JamNan Sun 28-Dec-14 11:32:45

What about making a veg version of the bourguignon with different types of mushrooms, some chestnuts, maybe celery and leek too all cooked up in a lovely tomatoey red wine sauce.

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Sun 28-Dec-14 11:36:04

Butternut squash in big chunks so it doesn't fall apart, haricot or borlotti beans because lentils will be too prone to going mushy, carrots etc in a sauce the same.

Waswondering Sun 28-Dec-14 11:36:58

Beet bourguignon, with beetroot instead of beef? Have seen this at as a veggie alternative.

Chillyegg Sun 28-Dec-14 11:38:59

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/vegetarian-dinner-party

Chillyegg Sun 28-Dec-14 11:39:28

Sorry posted too early there's some gorgeous recipes on there.

iklboo Sun 28-Dec-14 11:47:44

Was going to suggest a mushroom bourginon as well. I'm not veggie but I'd happily scoff that with mash, green beans & crusty bread to mop up the juices.

MagratGarlik Sun 28-Dec-14 11:54:47

Mushroom strogonoff with rice and the green beans you're cooking for the meat eaters. You can make it with a bit of red wine in too, if you like.

twofalls Sun 28-Dec-14 11:56:17

Thanks all. Loads of ideas smile

hugoagogo Mon 29-Dec-14 17:10:17

If it's just one person why don't you ask them what they would like? Not everyone likes mushrooms or beetroot.

momb Mon 29-Dec-14 17:19:20

Do a bourgignonne sauce with everything but the beef: use beg stock but the wine, onions, mushrooms etc just the same: put in pan toasted macadamias and hazelnuts instead shortly before serving. Delicious!

momb Mon 29-Dec-14 17:19:39

veg stock!

twofalls Tue 30-Dec-14 23:18:10

Exactly what I have done momb, with 3 different types of mushroom (checked first she likes mushrooms). It tastes great - hopefully better tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now