Talk

Advanced search

I need your best turkey curry recipe, please!

(21 Posts)
farendofafart Thu 25-Dec-14 16:17:33

My first Christmas in my own home (as opposed to relatives).

So much leftover turkey.

Help!!

farendofafart Thu 25-Dec-14 19:57:59

Bump

rumbelina Thu 25-Dec-14 20:55:16

I'm a bit pissed to google but I think there's a nice Anthony worrall Thompson one

Franke Thu 25-Dec-14 21:01:01

I don't have a best curry recipe but I've made this before and it's bloody lovely. I adapt it to whatever ingredients I've got - I don't think I've ever bothered with chestnuts and I use all the turkey meat, not just white.

DramaAlpaca Thu 25-Dec-14 21:06:15

The best leftover turkey recipe I've come across is Jamie Oliver's turkey & sweet leek pie. It's absolutely lush.

I've tried making curries & none of them have been great, but the JO recipe is so good I buy turkey at other times of the year just so I can make it. I'm too tiddly to find the recipe, but it's online.

TyneTeas Thu 25-Dec-14 23:49:20

I just use lefover gravy as the base for the sauce with curry powder

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/leftover-roast-meat-curry.html

Hoppinggreen Sat 27-Dec-14 14:08:48

I like a turkey, leek and ham pie.

bagelfiend Sat 27-Dec-14 19:16:56

I'm in the middle of making a turkey vindaloo with a spice mix I bought in borough market- had so much left so will eat it for dinner tonight and freeze the rest.
Smells amazing(if I do say so myself) but will have to wait and see!

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Sat 27-Dec-14 19:22:35

Just made the nicest turkey leftover pie ever

Leeks, carrots, green beans (use whatever you have)

Turkey and ham chunks

Creme fraiche, thyme and cayenne

A stick cube then pastry top

Not a big fan of turkey curry but it does make a nice biryani

ilovepowerhoop Sat 27-Dec-14 19:29:51

dh used this one tonight and even dd (11) ate it.

uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/576739

ilovepowerhoop Sat 27-Dec-14 19:32:43

p.s. he cooked and reduced the sauce and then added the turkey in towards the end to heat through

LIttleMcF Sat 27-Dec-14 19:42:24

Not a recipe as such but I pick and shred or slice all turkey meat as soon as I get round to it, then freeze in portion bags. I sometimes make up packs of sliced turkey and stuffing and freeze together to make sandwiches. Otherwise the shredded stuff gets made into curry, chilli, stir fry, pies etc. That way it's spread through the year and no "God not turkey again' moments.

I think it's a fairly mild (although distinctive) flavour and easy to use wherever you might find chicken or whatever.

I'll also boil the carcass for soup and stock, which I'll reduced to a jelly and freeze.

That said, our massive turkey is currently sitting in the frozen greenhouse waiting for some attention. I'm drinking many bellinis to recover from our bloody awful journey through the snow last night so shredding a turkey carcass is just going to have to wait.

Chewbecca Sat 27-Dec-14 20:19:58

this curry recipe is actually in the back of Delia's old complete cookery course and I make it every year. It is a very basic, old fashioned style, curry powder curry!

TheSteveMilliband Sat 27-Dec-14 23:11:53

Jamie's massaman? Made the curry paste but no turkey left!

Mrsgrumble Sat 27-Dec-14 23:15:51

Buy a few ready jars and open the gin and relax
grin

clementine63 Sun 28-Dec-14 00:08:50

Just had a terrible upset tummy from a (very tasty) turkey pasta dish made by DH from the leftover turkey. Won't be doing that again. Just let it go people!

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Sun 28-Dec-14 10:45:22

I must say there's no way I would be bagging it, freezing it and getting it out for sarnies, especially if it had been residing in a garage not a fridge?!

Tattiebogle Sun 28-Dec-14 12:56:42

I have to agree with just let it go for the simple reason that after Boxing Day no amount of doing things to the leftover will make them anything but leftovers served up with desperation.

Just buy and cook less next year.

InAllFairness Sun 28-Dec-14 13:07:54

I just made the delia curry, which is actually in my delia complete cookery course book only I've never tried it before now. We all loved it, my DD 7 and DS 9 both commented on how nice it was because it's fairly mild. Result.

ecofreckle Sun 28-Dec-14 19:48:28

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/member-recipes/recipe-detail/1013/
I made this for nine people yesterday. Ham, leek and Turkey pie with cheesy pastry! Lovely and needed no special ingredients beyond leftovers.

middlings Tue 30-Dec-14 10:57:07

Also made the Delia curry hoping to freeze some of it (we just had me, DH and my sister to eat it and my sister and I planned on attacking the leftover trifle later in the evening so had a small portion) and DH went and ate the lot!

Definitely going to try some of the other options here next year. I didn't have to buy any ingredients for the Delia one though - and I don't tend to have too many cardamon pods or too much garam masala knocking around as I don't use it often enough....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now