Talk

Advanced search

steaming christmas pud in slow cooker

(13 Posts)
FoxSticks Tue 23-Dec-14 23:26:15

We've splashed out on a posh pud this year and it expressly states not to microwave it. It needs to be steamed for two hours, can we do it in a slow cooker? If so would we put it on high or low and would it be for the same length of time - two hours?

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 23-Dec-14 23:35:45

I don't think a slow cooker would get hot enough to produce enough steam. you can use a pressure cooker though, and shorten the time considerably.

HexBramble Tue 23-Dec-14 23:41:04

Exactly what I'm hoping to go!
Following with interest .

mamababa Tue 23-Dec-14 23:45:00

I wouldn't think it would get hot enough although maybe it would on the high setting. Is there any reason you can't use the hob or a Bain Marie in the oven?

FoxSticks Wed 24-Dec-14 04:58:43

We were just hoping to save a bit of hob space, I was sure I'd seen people talk about doing this on here. Perhaps I imagined it!

FoxSticks Wed 24-Dec-14 08:30:01

Bumping for the morning crowd.

CogitOIOIO Wed 24-Dec-14 09:13:01

I think you could do it but that it would take a lot longer than 2 hours to get up to temperature in the slow cooker alone. Maybe you could get the temperature up by microwaving it first and then keep it in the slow cooker 'ticking over' until ready to serve?

JamNan Wed 24-Dec-14 09:21:54

Team Nigella recommend reheating for five hours in a slow cooker. instructions here

FoxSticks Wed 24-Dec-14 09:34:13

Fab, thanks Jam and Cogit fsmile

HexBramble Wed 24-Dec-14 10:09:02

Thanks for the thread, Fox. I'm going for it. Will pop it on high in my slow cooker tomorrow morning.

Happy last minute sorting everyone! smile

midori1999 Fri 26-Dec-14 16:16:50

I both cooked and reheated my Christmas puds in my slow cooker this year. Cooked for six to eight hours (depending on size of pud) and started with boiling water poured in as opposed to cold water. Forgot to put mine in to reheat yesterday, so again, poured boiling water in and cooked on high for 2 1/2hours. It was hot all the way through when I took it out and was lovely.

Festiveredpriestandmozart Fri 26-Dec-14 17:28:32

It will be grand, I would steam for at least 6 hours but would probably just pop it in cooker early morning let it steam. I steam a lot of puddings in the slow cooker but the Christmas one takes the longest. Hope you enjoy it smile

JamNan Sat 27-Dec-14 14:32:06

Ours was piping hot and lovely and moist after three hours reheating on high in the SC.
Twas great grandma's best ever pud!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now