Talk

Advanced search

Christmas lunch with tiny oven

(6 Posts)
PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 23-Dec-14 11:10:55

I somehow need to roast a turkey for 3 hours (nothing else will fit at the same time), potatoes & parsnips, sausages & stuffing & a large ham.

What is ok to cook early & rest or can I part roast potatoes/parsnips? Could boil the ham but quite like a glaze - any ideas?

OddBoots Tue 23-Dec-14 11:21:12

Can you serve the ham cold?

I only have a small oven so I'm not doing a whole turkey, I've made Delia's turkey roulades but there are some instructions here about cooking a turkey in parts, the limbs don't take as long so when they are out of the oven there should be room for the roasting veg.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Tue 23-Dec-14 11:23:41

I'd do the ham the night before and put the potatoes/parsnips in when you take the turkey out to rest.

Quangle Tue 23-Dec-14 11:24:54

If you wrap the turkey up enough you can rest it for getting on for an hour then slam in the potatoes etc on maximum. Can you boil the ham and glaze it separately?

PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 23-Dec-14 11:30:15

Yes could boil the ham but would like to serve it hot. half the party don't eat turkey do will be eating it with hot tatties, gravy etc plus I thought a glaze had to be finished in the oven?

Dolallytats Tue 23-Dec-14 11:35:48

You could do the turkey first then cover it in foil to keep hot while you do the tatties and veg. If you boil the ham, could you finish the glaze off in the oven while you are dishing up the veg? Or, take the veg out when they are done, cover with foil and put the glazed ham in to finish off then.

If you have a separate grill you could put the veg tins in there to keep warm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now