Talk

Advanced search

Oh noooo! I forgot the stuffing!

(16 Posts)
BertieBotts Mon 22-Dec-14 18:10:17

Totally forgot to import some Paxo this year sad

Does anyone have a failsafe stuffing recipe, preferably without meat?

Dancingqueen17 Mon 22-Dec-14 18:13:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lunaballoon Mon 22-Dec-14 18:50:59

Paxo is the stuffing of the devil. Home made every time!

Letthemtalk Mon 22-Dec-14 18:52:49

I'll be doing something along dancingqueens line, suits both the vegetarians and the carnivores

ouryve Mon 22-Dec-14 18:55:26

There's plain sage and onion as part of this recipe. It's alarmingly easy.
www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/cheese-and-parsnip-roulade-with-sage-and-onion-stuffing.html

ouryve Mon 22-Dec-14 18:56:44

Dried sage works, btw, if you can't get fresh - use about 1/3 as much.

NorwaySpruce Mon 22-Dec-14 19:00:40

This is what I do:

Boil up a pan of potatoes, make a pile of breadcrumbs from a small loaf, dice a few onions.

Mix hot potatoes with breadcrumbs, raw diced onions, and dried sage, using olive oil to bind.

I make it on Christmas Eve, and just leave it out to cool. On Christmas Day, bake it on the oven, or cook/use it as you would any other stuffing. It's cooked when the onions are soft.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 22-Dec-14 19:00:43

Mine's a bit like Dancing's - breadcrumbs, softened onions, garlic, lots of herbs (rosemary, parsley, thyme, sage) black pepper, sometimes some fresh chopped lemon or Satsuma (or cranberries). Tasty

BertieBotts Mon 22-Dec-14 23:43:25

Brilliant - thanks all smile

DustBunnyFarmer Mon 22-Dec-14 23:46:03

When I first saw your title I did wonder about the panic, given that there are 2 more shopping days before Xmas. However, if you are overseas, that puts a different complexion on things.

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 23-Dec-14 08:56:13

I did a home-made one a few years ago for the front of the turkey which was chopped up bread, not as small as breadcrumbs........about 5mm cubes (use thin sliced bread as it is easier), chopped and fried off onion, chopped up dried apricots, sultanas and almonds, then mix up and damp down with some milk and throw in a handful of chopped up sage leaves. Delishshsh. If baking separately, some suet would help make up for no fat coming out of meat.

canny1234 Tue 23-Dec-14 10:43:36

I just use a loaf of white bread in chunks add quite a bit of milk to soften plus a large lump of butter.Salt/pepper plus fresh thyme or sage( you do need quite a lot of herbs and the more butter the tastier it is) and finely chopped onions.Mush it all up with your hands and spread in a 2 cm layer and bake until crispy.My kids love it in slices with gravy.

PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 23-Dec-14 10:52:53

Waitrose apricot stuffing is amazing grin

Sofarris Tue 23-Dec-14 15:55:39

I just use Paxo as a base and add to it throughout the day smile Comes out delicious.

BertieBotts Tue 23-Dec-14 16:23:11

The bread isn't normal here either, so I'm a bit worried about it. It's very sweet and sort of moister than English bread. Either that or it's properly delicious very fresh farmhouse type bread.

Letthemtalk Tue 23-Dec-14 19:39:58

Use day old farmhouse bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now