Talk

Advanced search

juicer or blender?

(4 Posts)
hissingcat Sun 21-Dec-14 21:08:03

What's the difference?
DH is keen to start drinking vegetable juices and fruit juices made from a mixture of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Would a blender be ok for this or would he be better with a juicer?
would a blender leave lots of 'bits' where a juicer would remove them and does it matter if the drinks have bits in them? confused
Thanks

hissingcat Mon 22-Dec-14 11:35:45

bump

RojaGato Mon 22-Dec-14 12:14:36

Juicing removes the fibre. That's good for most people, but insoluble fibre can aggravate some kinds of ibs. A juicer is better for hard fruits and vegetables- apples, beetroot, carrots etc. You usually need a different type of juicer for citrus fruits, but hey can be had got very cheaply.

A really good blender won't leave many bits. Does your husband mind bits?, but I'm not sure I would fancy blended raw carrots or beetroot tbh.

We had a juicing phase a couple of years back and we tended to juice hard fruits and vegetables in a juicer then add soft fruits (e.g. berries bananas) to the juice in blender to make a smoothie. We also had a cheap citrus juicer for oranges etc.

If you want a juicer, look for an auger one rather than centrifugal- more expensive but better quantity and quality of juice usually.

There are blenders like Magic Bullet that make drinks out of fruits and vegetables without removing the pulp, but I haven't tried one of those specific types.

hissingcat Tue 23-Dec-14 22:07:15

Thanks for the reply. DH ended up buying a small breville blender today which seems to be doing what he wants it to and made a vegetable 'juice' with no bits at all.
much better than the food processor managed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now