Talk

Advanced search

gluten and dairy free Christmas buffet ideas please

(11 Posts)
livegoldrings Sun 21-Dec-14 13:32:59

fsmileWe often have a little family "potluck" buffet where everyone brings something. This year someone is doing a lot of the plain meats and salad and I want some fun dishes to go along side. We try to make things all can eat but suitable for my relative who is gluten and dairy free and citrus free too. Hot or cold is fine also a main or side dish is fine as I often just bring a main dish if visiting my relative for everyday visits. Also sweet or savoury ideas appreciated. Thanks fsmile

railwayworker Sun 21-Dec-14 13:50:38

Fresh fruit
Meringues
Goat/sheep cheese
Nairn's oatcakes (the gf ones)
Nigella clementine cake (either gf baking powder or leave it out)

Mini jacket potatoes
Rice paper rolls
Rice salad
Fritatta/tortilla
Stuffed peppers
Hot chilli/curry with rice

railwayworker Sun 21-Dec-14 13:51:16

Sorry, forgot citrus free with the cake!

livegoldrings Sun 21-Dec-14 13:58:59

Thanks! Actually the citrus free thing is more awkward than you might think as citric acid is used in so many processed items like tinned or jarred foods and it is in a lot of cakes and things too.

agoodbook Sun 21-Dec-14 21:37:07

Nice cake recipe I did for gluten free relative and easy!
Gluten Free Cake:
4 medium eggs
165g caster sugar
225g ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking powder

temp: 170 degree
(150 fan???)
20cm cake tin
3in deep

Recipe:
separate the the yolks and whites
Add the sugar to the yolks
Beat with fork
(should be a slightly paler colour now
)
Whisk egg whites until stiff
(stiff peaks)
Add the whites to the yolk mixture fold in with a metal spoon
Add the almonds and baking powder, fold in everything together until well mixed

Pour into cake tin, bake for 35-40 mins

Mine needed about another 10-15 mins on top- (was a bit unsure of oven temp so did it at 160 fan but ended up at 170 fan for last 10 minutes so it would brown a bit on top )

RojaGato Mon 22-Dec-14 12:36:40

Few ideas:

Savoury

Gluten free chipolatas or chicken wings glazed with honey and mustard
Celeriac and sweet potatoes, cut into chunks, parboiled, then roasted in olive oil, smoked paprika and chopped parsley sprinkled on top to serve
Roast chestnuts
Roast winter vegetables- carrots, parsnips, beetroot
Butternut squash mashed with coconut oil/milk or olive oil and chilli
Peppers stuffed with pork mince, pinenuts, raisins and fennel seeds

Sweet

Rice pudding made with coconut milk and Christmas spices
Baked apples stuffed with coconut oil and brown sugar or honey and a cinnamon stick
Meringues with raspberry sorbet and coconut cream
Booja booja truffles

jellybeans Mon 22-Dec-14 12:39:36

Sainsburys have a great range including choc yules and g free quiche etc and sausages. Gluten free pretzels are nice.

livegoldrings Mon 22-Dec-14 16:50:08

Thanks great ideas! Will make a lovely buffet. I am thinking of doing some of these for the xmas buffet. Any other recipes appreciated as I often make some food when visiting and i nearly always end up doing chicken casserole! Gets a bit boring.

itsnotjustastick Mon 22-Dec-14 16:51:37

mango sorbet for pudding

ethelb Mon 22-Dec-14 18:45:59

Citric acid isn't necessarily from citrus, it is another name for vit c?

livegoldrings Mon 22-Dec-14 19:09:04

My relative (grandmother) who is allergic (actually intolerant) reacts to all forms of citric acid either used as a chemical ingredient or fresh fruits. Citric acid is very popular to use in processed fruit or veg products anything tinned or bottled may contain it, but it is not the same as vitamin C which is ascorbic acid and is also sometimes used especially in apple juice, but less often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now