Talk

Advanced search

Gammon in cider or coke?

(21 Posts)
maitaimojito Sat 20-Dec-14 08:22:31

I'm having some friends round on Christmas eve and was thinking of cooking a gammon and trying out the coke or cider recipe.

One of the guests is quite fussy and she doesn't like anything strong flavoured.

I've never tried the coke/cider recipes so I'm not sure whether the flavour is subtle - is anyone able to advise which would be best? Also does the meat shred once cooked or can it be carved?

I've had gammon at their house before and it's always been done plain but I fancy trying something different! I'm just worried that it will be too different IFSWIM.

Thank you in anticipation smile

msrisotto Sat 20-Dec-14 08:27:09

I've tried both and they are both good but something in me just can't square cooking with cola, i'm not a massive fan of spreading sugar or treacle on gammon either so that's probably part of it. I use Mary Berry's recipe with cider, i'll be using it on Boxing day when I cook for 14. You can carve it when it's done.

insancerre Sat 20-Dec-14 08:31:15

Cider all the way
Coke is for mixing with spirits not for cooking with
Plus we only use natural ingrediants not the chemical cocktail that is coke

Waswondering Sat 20-Dec-14 08:31:54

Ginger ale (from Nigella christmas)

AwfulBeryl Sat 20-Dec-14 08:34:03

Cider, I really don't like gammon in coke. It just tastes like the penny sweet cola bottles i used to have as a youngen.

AwfulBeryl Sat 20-Dec-14 08:36:17

Oh and I the meat has always craved nicley for me, as long as I don't over do it.
I do mine in the slow cooker, just cider and mustard seeds.
The stock makes a nice soup if you can be bothered.

Medge68 Sat 20-Dec-14 08:36:55

I think cooking in cola is a waste of a bit of gammon personally. I did it once and was not impressed. I cook mine plain in the slow cooker, although quite liking the cider idea.

ElizabethHoover Sat 20-Dec-14 08:37:28

I've done all that crap. I just bake it now. Still good.

maitaimojito Sat 20-Dec-14 08:38:19

Thanks all - I think I'll go with cider and have a look for Mary Berry's recipe.

I wasn't not too sure on the idea of coke myself as I don't really like it as a drink (too sweet) but I keep hearing rave reviews and thought I must be missing out.

bruffin Sat 20-Dec-14 08:39:03

I did with ginger beer last week and ot was gorgeous. I added a star anise and bay leaf

msrisotto Sat 20-Dec-14 08:40:28

Oh by the way, Mary Berry's recipe includes a cold sauce to go with it - really worth doing, it's bloody lovely.

R4roger Sat 20-Dec-14 08:51:41

i thought everyone raved about coke. I bought some specifically. sad

NigellasGuest Sat 20-Dec-14 15:23:01

me too, I have my ham and coke on order with Tescos. I'm still going to go for it - lots of people have raved about it and I'm thinking the DCs will like it at least which will make a change

miffybun73 Sat 20-Dec-14 15:29:07

We use cider, cider vinegar and brown sugar.

ElizabethHoover Sat 20-Dec-14 16:27:57

i did the coke once and couldnt quite see the point

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Sat 20-Dec-14 16:35:01

I'm doing the Nigella one in the slow cooker with red wine and spices. I'm another one who can't quite bring myself to cooke with Coke (even though I drink it), I also don't like too much sweetness in savoury meals.

catwithflowers Sat 20-Dec-14 17:15:53

I've done gammon in coke and and in cider in the past. Yesterday I was pushed for time and bought a bog standard large gammon joint from Morrisons and simply simmered it for 3 hours on the hob in ordinary water and then turned off the heat and let it cool overnight in the pan. We ate some today and it was absolutely lovely. It tasted of good, old fashioned ham and nothing else fsmile

Gingerfudge Sat 20-Dec-14 19:01:11

I boil a smoked gammon in water and i think it tastes just as good as the coke version - which I tried because of the hype but I couldn't quite see the point once I'd tasted it.

ElizabethHoover Sat 20-Dec-14 19:02:20

i just bake it as is - agree no difference in flavour

MinceSpy Sat 20-Dec-14 19:03:31

I'm doing mine in gingerbeer but cider option sounds yummy

maitaimojito Sun 21-Dec-14 08:25:53

I decided to do a trial version of the cider one for last night's dinner and it was lovely if I say so myself.

I couldn't find Mary Berry's recope so I used a mixture of a couple of other recipes to fit with the ingredients I had in the house.

I cooked it in cider with a few peppercorns, then brushed with a honey and Dijon mustard glaze and studded with cloves before putting in the oven to finish it off.

I only wish I'd done a bigger joint so there would have been some left for sandwiches next week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now