Talk

Advanced search

oh goodness, how to cook a goose, and make gravy?

(5 Posts)
butteriesplease Thu 18-Dec-14 14:04:35

so, DH is cooking goose this year. He will just bung it in the oven. Any ideas on how you cook one nicely, and what do you stuff it with? and how do you make gravy anyway? I won't be eating any, as I'm veggie, but feel I should make sure it's a good meal for everyone else!
I've ordered chestnut stuff and sage & onion stuffing from the butcher, so hopefully they will go...

agoodbook Thu 18-Dec-14 14:28:14

Goose is wonderful- not having it this year as we have a few round, and it doesn't go far . Even though I have done it many times, I always slightly panic- it sort of cooks a bit quicker than you think, and you have to pour off the fat a couple of times - ( that makes amazing roast potatoes - though I guess you couldn't eat those...). I tend to do my stuffing separately the day before- that tends to help cut down the cooking time , I just bung a couple of cut up lemons inside to keep it moist, and prick it well all over to let the fat run- salt and pepper over the skin.its best if you can stand it on a bit of a rack. Allow it plenty of time to rest as well
I found this site- its the nearest to how I have always cooked mine. Dont overcook it - it can go dry.
www.geese.cc/pages/cookinghints.html

Gravy is easy - some of the fat and juices from the goose in a little pan - stir in a tablespoon of flour with a whisk. Add salt and pepper and gently heat up so you get a smooth paste. Once you have mixed in all the flour, start adding cold water, and turn up the heat and keep whisking to keep smooth. Once you have the right consistency, bring up to the boil to make sure the flour is cooked off, then reduce heat and check for flavour and maybe a touch more water. You can add a stock cube if wanted .

CogitOIOIO Thu 18-Dec-14 14:32:32

Goose contains a LOT of fat which makes it taste nice but has to be dealt with at the same time. Either blanch it first to remove some of the fat or prick the skin all over, roast it on a rack over a tray and pour off the fat on a regular basis. If you put some herbs and onions around the goose this will add flavour.

Good gravy is just thickened meat juices. Once the bird has cooked, set it to one side under some layers of foil/greaseproof paper and a few tea towels. It will stay hot for quite a long time and 'relaxing' the meat this way means more juices stay in the meat and keep it moist rather than running out when carved.

The hot fat and juices that have been removed from the roasting tin during the cooking time now have to be separated. You can use a separator jug or, if you chill the fat/juices right down, you can carefully spoon off the solidifying fat. Keep this in the fridge as it is excellent for roast potatoes.

Setting the roasting tin over a low flame, heat a small amount of fat (a few teaspoons) and stir in 2 tablespoons of plain flour with a whisk. Once this has had chance to cook a little, introduce the reserved fat-free juices a little at a time. Pour in any collected juices from around the resting goose as well. For extra flavour, add some cider.

MissYamabuki Thu 18-Dec-14 14:38:12

Mmmmmm goose smile

Most important advice: while it cooks it will produce more fat than you think possible. Make sure it's easy to collect the fact safely during cooking. Last time I gathered a pound of fat (and yes, it's worth keeping, it's yummy to cook in).

Also:

You don't get that much meat from it, relative to size

I put an apple and a pear inside. It flavours the meat subtly, the smell is heavenly and the cooked fruit itself is probably the most delicious thing I've ever eaten.

I'm very fenvy Enjoy!

butteriesplease Thu 18-Dec-14 16:05:35

thank-you - will read this and get DH to read too. Have asked butcher for a biggish turkey - for 4 adults and three kids... have to see what the farmer can provide I guess!
Now, I can plan what soup I'm making...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now