Talk

Advanced search

what can I add to my vegetable soup to liven it up?

(40 Posts)
bananacarnival Wed 17-Dec-14 13:00:54

It's the only way I can eat vegetables. Fry onion, add vegetables and unfortunately I don't like the taste of Swiss Bouillon powder, although that's what I'm using.

Other stock cubes seem to have a lot of additives which defeats the object when I'm trying to be healthy with one meal.

Any suggestions?
I'm not a natural cook, pretty useless in the kitchen!
Thanks

ArchangelGallic Wed 17-Dec-14 13:02:35

Fry the onions in chilli oil.
Add herbs.
Add curry powder.

Get the Covent Garden soup book. Lots of lovely recipes and mostly very easy.

NewLeafExpat Wed 17-Dec-14 13:11:27

If the base is vegetable but you aren't vegetarian then add bacon. The smokey flavour will be the winner mmm mmmm

NewLeafExpat Wed 17-Dec-14 13:12:10

Or coriander with some coconut milk for a creamier/richer soup?

Theas18 Wed 17-Dec-14 13:13:35

Best ever (if you aren't veggie) is a sliced and frizzled chorizo ( and the oil that it makes.

Almost always stary bu veg sups with a dollop of patak curry past when frying the veg up to start it off though. Always good

TakeawayInAManger Wed 17-Dec-14 13:13:59

Tabasco sauce - either original or the chipotle one (which is still spicy, but less so)

I've not tried this, but just a thought - marmite??

exexpat Wed 17-Dec-14 13:15:07

Fry some curry powder in with the onions etc at the start, and also a few chunks of root ginger. Works very well with root veg or butternut squash. Blend it all together at the end, and add plain yoghurt or coconut milk if you like.

oswellkettleblack Wed 17-Dec-14 13:15:16

Kallo Organic cubes don't have a lot of additives. Add a chopped chilli and two cloves of minced garlic

mynameisred Wed 17-Dec-14 13:23:29

Marmite, or miso paste if you are feeling a bit more adventorous, will add taste to the soup and can be added right at the end.

I also make sesame salt to sprinkle on top of the soup, a very tasty alternative to salt.

dalekanium Wed 17-Dec-14 13:27:30

Chilli

Garlic

Worcestershire sauce

Marmite

Fried mustard seeds

Curry paste/ power

Soy sauce or nam pla

Are all my go to for livening up soup

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 17-Dec-14 15:40:34

I think a soup is only as good as the stock you use. Cubes and the like taste horrid to me. Proper stock is the only way to go.

butterfliesinmytummy Wed 17-Dec-14 15:42:12

Fry Thai curry paste with your onion before adding veg and stock. Finish with coconut milk. You won't taste the veggies!

bananacarnival Wed 17-Dec-14 18:41:55

Brilliant! I'm making a large pot every week so I can try out various suggestions week by week.

I take my hat off to anyone who understands food, I certainly don't!

RojaGato Wed 17-Dec-14 19:39:11

Smoked paprika
small cube sof potato fried til crispy (like mini croutons)

DustBunnyFarmer Wed 17-Dec-14 19:41:18

what can I add to my vegetable soup to liven it up?

Ham.

bananacarnival Wed 17-Dec-14 21:07:07

Thanks again. I've got more than half the stuff lying about, never occurs to me to use it if it's not part of a recipe I'm following.

Comito Wed 17-Dec-14 21:13:45

Another vote for Kallo Organic cubes. They have less salt than normal ones too. Also add lots of herbs - thyme is good for veg soup., and a dash of cumin.

You could also fry the onions and garlic off at the start with some smoked paprika. Not too much otherwise it'll be overpowering but maybe half a teaspoon?

SingingSands Wed 17-Dec-14 21:15:20

Chicken stock, never veg. Unless you're a veggie. blush

tethersend Wed 17-Dec-14 21:16:10

Sprinkle in some Stilton.

TheCowThatLaughs Wed 17-Dec-14 21:17:06

I use about half of the recommended quantity of stock powder or cubes when making stock for soup and it means the soup doesn't have that telltale taste.

DustBunnyFarmer Wed 17-Dec-14 21:39:36

Dried porcini mushrooms, rehydrated with boiled water, make a really oomphy stock and massively increase the umami of anything you put them in. We use them in mushroom risotto for the same reason.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Wed 17-Dec-14 22:01:34

Toasted seeds eg pumpkin to serve. Yum.

Mrsstevejones Wed 17-Dec-14 22:17:07

Add coriander pesto -i found the recipe on here and its amazing but then i love coriander! I freeze it and use one ice cube per bowl.

321zerobaby Wed 17-Dec-14 22:27:50

Fresh ginger.

GreenMouse Wed 17-Dec-14 22:51:14

Keep the rinds of cheese like parmesan and put them in your soup. Take the rind of before eating the soup though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now