Advanced search

Fudge: to stir or not? Foolproof recipes please

(33 Posts)
BuffyWithChristmasEarings Tue 16-Dec-14 21:30:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BuffyWithChristmasEarings Tue 16-Dec-14 21:31:41

Groovester Tue 16-Dec-14 21:36:10

Is it not scottish tablet you're thinking of? Hard and crumbly. Pretty much same ingredients as fudge but boiled longer?

rhetorician Tue 16-Dec-14 21:36:51

I use the one on the Carnation website, here it works brilliantly. I find a steady boil for about 11 minutes gives a good firm texture, followed by 10 minutes beating

BuffyWithChristmasEarings Tue 16-Dec-14 21:42:35

Nittyb Tue 16-Dec-14 21:46:42

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/851640/white-chocolate-chip-fudge
I made this one , I boiled it with a sugar thermometer to sift boil & it's come out hard and crumbly & yummy !

Nittyb Tue 16-Dec-14 21:47:14

Or even soft ball !!

Groovester Tue 16-Dec-14 21:52:49

The carnation one looks about right. Similar to recipe I use for tablet. When it's boiling, take it further so that you see it sticking and drying in sides of pan. That's the texture you're after I think.

BuffyWithChristmasEarings Tue 16-Dec-14 21:54:33

rhetorician Tue 16-Dec-14 21:55:35

yes, I'd say if you pushed the boiling another couple of minutes it would be more snappy and less bendy <technical terminology grin> you can bung other stuff in when you take it off the heat. Ginger and cranberry is vair naice fsmile

BuffyWithChristmasEarings Tue 16-Dec-14 21:56:18

BuffyWithChristmasEarings Tue 16-Dec-14 21:57:08

rhetorician Tue 16-Dec-14 22:01:46

buffy just chop some crystallised or stem ginger very finely. It's lush, the zing balances the uber sweetness beautifully. Everyone in the family (other than the children who are insane don't like it) is getting fudge for Christmas fgrin

CatsClaus Tue 16-Dec-14 22:03:57

i made tablet this weekend....tin of carnation evap, bag of granulated sugar, slice from the end of the butter

i melted it all together in a large pan until the sugar was not scratchy, stirring occasionally, and then let it boil (like gentle lava) and not creeping up the side of the pan for about 40 minutes, then beat it until i thought it might not pour out of the saucepan and then quickly tipped it into a lined flat tin

it's very melty and sandy in texture...I am taking it to work to be judged sampled by the person who gave me the recipe
I think if i had let it go another ten minutes it might have been snappy.

I made one earlier in the month which was tin of condensed milk and a pound of sugar, same sort of method, but only boiled that for 15 minutes....that was more scary lava boiling though...beat it again and into the tin and that was much snappier, but still melty, no chew to it at all.

BuffyWithChristmasEarings Sat 20-Dec-14 15:33:09

ScreamingNotWaving Sat 20-Dec-14 15:46:08

You could try buttering the pan at the boiling level, if you see what I mean. Then it's easier not to leave a rim behind when you're stirring.

BuffyWithChristmasEarings Sat 20-Dec-14 16:03:45

Imnotaslimjim Sat 20-Dec-14 18:23:01

Did you use a standard pan? You need a heavy based pan to stop it from burning

BuffyWithChristmasEarings Sat 20-Dec-14 18:24:47

BuffyWithChristmasEarings Sat 20-Dec-14 18:25:53

TheSpottedZebra Sat 20-Dec-14 18:31:44

I've done that with my fudge. I blamed my spoon and my stirring technique and think I'd use a spatula thing next time.

Can you call it caramel-flecked fudge?

zzzzz Sat 20-Dec-14 18:33:35

You need a gentler heat. Condensed milk works better than evap. If you don't have a thick bottomed pan go very slowly.

I call it fudge hard and grainy. Anything chewy is not fudge IMO.

My children go crazy for vanilla fudge grin

Gingerfudge Sat 20-Dec-14 18:56:40

Sandy fudge occurs when the sugar has not been dissolved before you start boiling the mixture. Taste it before you start boiling, if there's no sign of sand you'll be fine.

zzzzz Sat 20-Dec-14 18:58:03

It HAS to be gritty for me. Smooth just isn't fudge.

BuffyWithChristmasEarings Sat 20-Dec-14 19:01:07

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now