Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone made their own samosas wrappers?

(3 Posts)
TheKitchenWitch Sun 14-Dec-14 13:16:54

They are not available to buy where I am, and the filo (phyllo?) pastry is way too thick.
I've made my own spring roll wrappers using a thin batter made of flour (mix of plain and cornflour), water and salt, then basically making very, very thin pancakes out of it. Then filled and deep fried - they were perfect!

I've been looking up samosa wrapper recipes and they mostly seem to involve making a dough which you then roll out (like making tortillas). I'm wondering whether they'd be thin enough like this. I find when I make tortillas they also tend to be a bit on the thickish side.

Has anyone tried it? And is there any reason not to use the same batter and pancake-method as for spring rolls?

karmakameleon Sun 14-Dec-14 19:44:03

My mum used to make them when I was little and it was quite a phaff. You have to roll the dough very thinly and it's a bit of a skill but possible. Sometimes as a shortcut she used frozen spring roll wrappers from the Chinese shop which worked well so worth trying that method.

TyneTeas Sun 14-Dec-14 21:02:44

I haven't made my own samosa pastry for ages, but when I have I have used Madhur Jaffrey's recipe from her 'Indian Cooking' book.

This link says it is her recipe from that book and it looks the same.

www.angelfire.com/or/rekhakarthik/VariousRecipes_files/Samosas.htm

I'm not great with pastry in general but it always seemed to work okay when I followed it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now