Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Salted butter

(13 Posts)
Haahoooo Sun 14-Dec-14 10:51:20

We are hosting Christmas for the first time this year. My family are coming over from Holland and I'd like to make an effort to make sure everyone has some of their favourite things.

The other day in an (unrelated) chat my DB asked me if I'd ever tried salted butter on my bread and how amazing it is. What can he be talking about? I'd like to get it but I assume it's not the usual lightly salted anchor spread that we always have anyway.

Any ideas?

Thanks x

Furball Sun 14-Dec-14 10:59:18

There was a thread a month or so ago about how amazing President salted butter was on bread - so could be that?

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 14-Dec-14 11:06:08

I don't know about Holland but in France unsalted is the norm so it may be the same elsewhere on the continent?

CatsClaus Sun 14-Dec-14 11:06:26

fleur de sel is lovely, beurre d'isigny also yum

lidl also sell fancy butter on occasion.

and you'll need a butter dish to keep it in! grin

Haahoooo Sun 14-Dec-14 11:14:40

Great, thanks for the tips. I might get a couple of these (and a butter dish!) and hope I get it right. Quite looking forward to it myself now.

Eyespy24 Sun 14-Dec-14 18:23:40

When you buy butter there's usually a choice of salted & unsalted.

Unsalted is better for baking but on bread /toast etc salted wins by far.

Bunbaker Sun 14-Dec-14 18:26:50

I prefer to use salted butter for baking. You can't beat salted butter in shortbread and unsalted butter makes butter cream too sickly for me.

BertieBotts Sun 14-Dec-14 18:29:06

No I think it is just normal salted butter, I'm in Germany and it's harder to find salted butter than unsalted here. You have to add the salt yourself.

BIWI Sun 14-Dec-14 18:31:45

Waitrose do a fabulous butter with sea salt crystals in it - gorgeous! I think it's a Brittany butter.

BIWI Sun 14-Dec-14 18:32:57

Here!

perplexedpirate Sun 14-Dec-14 18:34:43

Butter with sea-salt crystals is the the absolute bomb!

GaryShitpeas Sun 14-Dec-14 18:39:06

i always use lurpak "lightly salted" is that the same? actually doesnt taste very salted at all

Dancingyogi Mon 15-Dec-14 07:33:30

Isigny ste Mere with sea salt crystals is amazing stuff....unpasteurised and full of flavour. For anyone who has had the misfortune of being subjected to margarine for years I can imagine that even the most everyday salted butter is pure joy and pleasure on the taste buds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now