Talk

Advanced search

Non alcoholic mulled wine recipe

(8 Posts)
Festiveredpriestandmozart Sat 13-Dec-14 19:36:41

So not technically wine but one that looks like wine and tastes as much like wine as possible. A home made recipe please, I'd like to make this on Thursday night as going to a dry party and I'm so used to the real thing I honestly don't know what would be a good substitute, something with real depth smile

MrsBertMacklin Sat 13-Dec-14 19:44:19

If no-one else comes up trumps with a homemade recipe, the Bottlegreen spiced berry cordial is lovely.

Festiveredpriestandmozart Sat 13-Dec-14 20:34:31

Thanks Mrs I love this headed on a cold winter night so it might just do for the party. Only problem is that everyone is bringing home made food so it would look better if I had a recipe but I can fake it smile

MrsCosmopifairylight Sat 13-Dec-14 20:41:38

When I've got friends over who don't drink, I make mulled grape juice.

Depending on numbers, a couple of cartons of red grape juice (you can also use white), a sprinkling of cloves (about 3 or 4 per litre), a cinnamon stick, a star anise, a small sprinkle of nutmeg and a couple of slices of orange.

Apparently last time I made this, even the wine drinkers thought they were on the wine (admittedly they may have had a few earlier!).

HuevosRancheros Sun 14-Dec-14 10:39:08

Similar to the grape juice, but admittedly not trying to look/taste like wine, I do mulled apple juice.
Not that long life syrupy brown apple juice, but the cloudy "fresh apple" tasting one. Heat through with some cloves and cinnamon sticks, simmer for a while to get the flavour infused - lovely smile

CatsClaus Sun 14-Dec-14 10:44:27

M&S had non alcoholic Mulled Punch and that was very delish

Otherwise the bottle green stuff is good...tart it up with the same fruit and spices.

I used to make ginger apple tea for colds and sniffles, but that would also pep up as a christmassy thing....you need stem ginger and the syrup from the jar. I'd use about half and half hot water and apple juice in a mug, and a couple of tbs of syrup. It'd look super with star anise, cloves and cinnnamon bark in it too.

CogitOIOIO Sun 14-Dec-14 11:14:47

I made lovely one last night with 1 litre cranberry juice, 1/2 litre apple juice, 150g clear honey, 1 orange washed and thinly sliced, 2 slices root ginger, 1 cinnamon stick, 2 star anise and 10 cloves. Gently heat together until the flavours have blended.

Festiveredpriestandmozart Tue 16-Dec-14 08:50:28

Thanks everyone, I hope to make a bit of a combination of everything suggested. DH has gone for the ingredients now if all else fails I'll chuck a bottle of red wine in and declare it alcoholic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now