Talk

Advanced search

Carving the Turkey - how to make it less of a nightmare....?

(13 Posts)
CointreauVersial Sat 13-Dec-14 13:34:33

So the veggies are cooked to perfection, the roasties are piping hot, and there is a crowd of expectant diners around the Christmas table....

But the damned turkey needs carving. Aargh. Every year it is a total stress-fest, as I hack vaguely at it, trying to get some meat onto everyone's plates before it gets cold.

Help me! How should I tackle a turkey, so everyone gets nice slices, it's not stone cold, and I don't end up sweating, swearing, and up to my elbows in grease?

HowMuchMoreWee Sat 13-Dec-14 13:40:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Enpoid Sat 13-Dec-14 13:41:28

Bite it off.

HowMuchMoreWee Sat 13-Dec-14 13:46:09

CointreauVersial Sat 13-Dec-14 13:58:54

Remove the breasts, eh?

What about the legs? I can never get the drumsticks off - is there a trick?

HowMuchMoreWee Sat 13-Dec-14 15:20:32

tb Sat 13-Dec-14 21:22:29

Apparently it makes it easier to carve if you take out the wishbone before roasting. Can't remember where I read that, though.

We're having boned shoulder of pork, though, Solves most carving problems.

OttiliaVonBCup Sat 13-Dec-14 21:26:00

A sharp flexible knife makes it easier.

MehsMum Sat 13-Dec-14 21:29:46

Don't have a turkey. Go for rib of beef...
Much nicer.

mausmaus Sat 13-Dec-14 21:30:49

have a goose instead

RojaGato Sun 14-Dec-14 05:40:18

Slice right though leg joint where thigh meats body, lay to flat them slice directly through thigh/drumstick joint. Can help to hold the end of the drumstick and twist the drumstick slightly as you cut, in opposite clock face direction to cutting motion (silicon oven gloves help)

Breasts, agree with poster above, remove entire thing then slice. Also agree that's is easier if you rest the turkey properly first.

iwantginsoakedXmas Sun 14-Dec-14 11:06:18

I have been doing the remove the whole breast at once and slicing- method this year when carving chickens. I plan to try it with this years turkey too. It is much easier and your slices are more manageable.

CointreauVersial Mon 15-Dec-14 00:45:22

The Jamie videos were great, thanks, although the first link had me confused for a while because it started with half a goose.

I was also amazed when he said the Turkey had been resting for an hour and a half! How was it not stone cold?

But I definitely think will try removing the breasts this year. I am also going to buy a knife sharpener.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now