Talk

Advanced search

Jacket Potatoes and......... what?

(15 Posts)
HuevosRancheros Thu 11-Dec-14 14:05:32

I am "hosting" Boxing Day this year - it will be me and DH (both veggie), our young DCs (fussyish), PILs (not fussy), SIL and BIL (not fussy) and their two young kids (probably fussyish)

We don't see SIL and her family very often, so I want the focus of the day to be catching up, the cousins will be so excited to see each other smile
It will definitely be an informal lunch, with the main goal being that everyone has something to eat that they like!

After much internal debate (curry? Mexican? Wow them with an array of Ottolenghi dishes? wink) I have decided to be boring and sensible and do jacket potatoes for lunch as they cook themselves, no need to be slaving over the hob, and I should be able to do a topping that everyone will like.... But what to do with them? Thoughts so far are sausages (meaty and veggie), cheese, baked beans, coleslaw, loads of salad..... my in-laws raved about the ham from our local butcher last time I got some in for them, so I thought I'd get some ham, maybe a pork pie....

Any other suggestions? If you had to have jacket spuds on Boxing Day, what would you want with them? grin
I had thought of some chilli, but it can be difficult to get the spice level right when catering for adults and small children - too bland for some, too hot for others, no one is happy!!

Any suggestions gratefully received, TIA smile

SoftSheen Thu 11-Dec-14 14:11:59

Hot roasted ham
Cheese and onion pie
Smoked salmon and cream cheese
Selection of salads (green leaves, tomato salad, carrot salad etc)
Grated cheese
Baked beans

We once did baked potatoes for boxing day and they went down very well- something for everything and not too much effort either.

agoodbook Thu 11-Dec-14 18:06:28

A favourite in our household is an old Delia recipe. Cook leeks in butter until well softened then put into a shallow dish, add halved hard boiled eggs on top. Cover with cheese sauce and pop under the grill. We are big fans of cauliflower cheese as well ( you can add bits of cooked bacon to that if wanted..

swooosh Thu 11-Dec-14 18:14:36

tuna mayo, prawn cocktail?

Germgirl Thu 11-Dec-14 18:16:30

Goats cheese & pesto
Cheese & beans
Mild curry
A favourite with me is decent corned beef (the lower fat one), baked potatoes with cheese and baked beans.
I think your ham, salad, coleslaw, cheese etc idea is just fine.
Will you have leftover turkey? That plus pickles is always lovely.

bigTillyMint Thu 11-Dec-14 18:17:27

tuna mayo (with or without sweetcorn)

couldbeanyone Thu 11-Dec-14 20:14:41

Fry sliced red onion til soft, add cherry tomatoes - heat through then add cubes of feta cheese, makes a lovely topping

maitaimojito Thu 11-Dec-14 20:19:05

I'd do a medium chilli and put some sour cream out on the table for those that like it mild (and jalapeños for those that want an extra kick).

Sausages123 Thu 11-Dec-14 20:20:10

Goats cheese and caramelised onion

HuevosRancheros Thu 11-Dec-14 20:35:30

Thank you all, some great ideas smile

There will be roast chicken left over, as DD (6) will be the only one eating it. Would you leave it as cold roast chicken, warm it through in some gravy, or maybe mildly curry it?

Like the idea of medium chilli with cooling/heating options. I can serve up my blow-your-head-off chipotle grin

Cannot stand the smell of tuna mayo, sorry, but a prawn mayo I could go with.

The cheese and onion tart would work, my only issue is that my MiL makes a brilliant one and I may not be able to do it as well as her! Sure I will be forgiven wink. Could maybe do a smoked samon one too.....

A variety of interesting salads sounds good - green, tomato/mozzarella/avocado, greek maybe. Oops, I'm running the risk of starting to get ideas for Ottolenghi salads! Need to stop those thoughts, too much time spent in the kitchen

Thank you all, hungry now!

littleducks Thu 11-Dec-14 20:42:11

Egg mayonnaise is surprisingly delicious on jacket potatoes. Tried it at Costco and was impressed.

Leftover chicken best perked up into chicken tikka/coronation or something with a boost of flavour instead of gravy IMO

Doilooklikeatourist Thu 11-Dec-14 20:42:58

Keep the chicken cold
Add the lovely (naice ) ham
Make some cauliflower cheese
Add mango chutney
Goats cheese and spinach pie ? ( jus roll pastry , cooked frozen spinach , goats cheese ( or Philly ) spring onions , tomatoes )
Very easy , especially if you use the ready roll stuff
Egg mayo ?

loveareadingthanks Fri 12-Dec-14 14:58:33

Mild chilli with a bottle of hot sauce for those who want to spice it up.

kateandme Sun 14-Dec-14 22:50:59

tuna mayo.egg mayo,coleslaw.baked beans and u can get those five beans from heinz now too.
what about making a general tomato based mince or even shephards pie based mince would be dlish in a jacket.you could always buy some spicy dressing for those that need.
garlic bread
grated cheese
leftover chicken in a chicken tongith jar sauce works lovely.we sometimes have jackets with chicken tonight mustard chicken pour over sauce,.they do all sorts of nice ones.

momb Sun 14-Dec-14 22:58:18

Chicken and ham in a cream sauce
mildish veggie chilli
baked beans
cheese
coleslaw
Leeks in cheese sauce

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now