Talk

Advanced search

Christmas dessert to take to a friends - ideas please

(16 Posts)
Andcake Wed 10-Dec-14 12:56:34

I need to cook it the day before and then it has to travel with us for an hour in the car. Someone else is bringing mince pies - I was thinking gingerbread, some kind of Christmas muffin (recipe help) or apple cake...ideas please!
Also I am not a very experienced cook and have dc who will want to HELP!

MisForMumNotMaid Wed 10-Dec-14 12:58:09

Chocolate roulade. The dc can help with the sponge mix, spreading on cream and decorating.

IvyMay Wed 10-Dec-14 13:09:22

I think this is a Jamie Oliver idea/recipe but something that's very transportable, easy to make for kids and delicious is a chocolate fridge cake Xmas pudding. I didn't use his recipe but I did totally steal his idea of making it in a pudding basin (prelined wiht cling film) then turning it out onto a plate and topping with a little glacé icing and sugar paste (or fake)
holly. It looked great and you could use any rocky road/choc fridge cake recipe you like. You could leave it in pudding basin while you travel too and ice it once you get there.

AnnieWinehouse Wed 10-Dec-14 13:15:39

How about Mary Berry's Christmas Chocolate Log.

That's what I'm doing smile

Oldieandgoldie Wed 10-Dec-14 13:21:20

Rocky road with glitter on top. Or white (snowy!) road.

MonstrousRatbag Wed 10-Dec-14 13:24:59

Pavlova with fruit. You can transport whipped cream in a jar and assemble it all when you arrive.

Andcake Wed 10-Dec-14 20:21:56

So many ideas I'm now spoilt for choice...

castlesintheair Wed 10-Dec-14 20:28:37

I make rocky road with glace cherries instead of marshmallows. Make sure you use v dark chocolate min 70% cocoa and golden syrup. I also used petit beurre instead of (dull) rich tea biscuits. Easy peasy. Sets in fridge. Dust with icing sugar. Everyone loves it.

Bunbaker Wed 10-Dec-14 20:35:57

Is it for after the Christmas dinner? If so I would do something light and not stodgy.

PartyFops Wed 10-Dec-14 20:50:49

Bread and butter pudding made with pannetone. DH bough some pannetone at the weekend but it was so so dry. I cut it up, buttered it and sprinkled with some sugar. Mixed 500ml of milk with 2 eggs. Poured over and baked for 30mins.

It was amazing!!!!! gringrin

Dancingyogi Wed 10-Dec-14 21:50:33

Jamie Oliver's brownies. Treacle tart. Cornflake tart. Orange almond cake.

Andcake Thu 11-Dec-14 10:28:12

It's not for Christmas day but anotehr meal with lots of food. I was thinking of an orange almond cake - i had seen this nigella recipe
www.nigella.com/recipes/view/clementine-cake-2559 anyone tried it

quesadillas Thu 11-Dec-14 13:28:03

This is good, and in the right container should survive a car journey.

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/baileysandchocolatec_72293

VirtualSantaHat Thu 11-Dec-14 14:09:31

Ivy van I please have your recipe, sounds amazing!

DonnaLymansSockPuppet Thu 11-Dec-14 14:15:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I've made that clementine cake, Andcake - and it is absolutely gorgeous!! And it is very easy to make too, because you just blitz up the cooked clementines, then add the rest of the ingredients and blitz again, then bake!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now