Talk

Advanced search

Stocking the freezer for maternity leave

(11 Posts)
hanflan Tue 09-Dec-14 16:55:14

Afternoon all!
I am due to start maternity leave soon, and one of my tasks is to defrost the freezer and then fill it up with individual portions of meals (I will be very glad of this once baby is here haha). Thing is, I'm struggling to think of food to make other than casseroles and lasagne!
Any ideas for meals that are fairly easy, and can easily be frozen into portions?

WiggleGinger Tue 09-Dec-14 17:07:35

Curry
Chilli
Bolognese sauce
Shepherds pie
Fish pie
Individual chicken/ steak/ veggie pies
Ratatouille

hanflan Wed 10-Dec-14 13:38:16

Thank you! Can't believe I didn't think of fish pie, yum!

Notmuchhaschanged Wed 10-Dec-14 23:18:25

I made a massive massive massive batch of vegetarian pasta sauce then split it with cooked pasta into tupperware containers and froze. Pasta and sauce reheats fine in the microwave.

Wolfiefan Wed 10-Dec-14 23:25:53

Mac and cheese
Meatballs
Pasta sauce
Canneloni
Soup
Leftover roast meat with gravy over (reheat and add aunt Bessie spuds and veg steamed in microwave!)

Mrsgrumble Wed 10-Dec-14 23:29:03

I am using my stash at the moment

Curry, chilli, bolognese, pork chop casserole

Also freeze mash and carrots and parsnips

I stocked up on ready to wok noodles, gnocchi and microwave rice as you get fed up of the same dinners and its very quick to make a stir fry or Thai curry.

Spindelina Thu 11-Dec-14 10:26:14

Our best ones were individual salmon pies, with loads of blitzed watercress in them. They were a balanced meal on their own, if you chose not to bother cooking anything else.

AnotherGirlsParadise Thu 11-Dec-14 10:37:35

Mince is your friend - I bloody love mince. Here's a list of what I made and froze for post-birth meals:

Beef lasagne
Salmon, prawn and spinach lasagne
Chicken and asparagus pie filling (topped with Jus-Rol puff pastry at time of cooking)
Chilli con carne (using tins of Heinz Five Beanz)
Fish pie topped with minted pea mash
Beef Bourguignon
Soups, using up any sad-looking veggies I had languishing in the fridge
A LOT of mash. Mash is also your friend!

Also, you can buy bags of frozen berries relatively cheaply in Tesco - you can whizz a handful up with a couple of bananas and some milk to make a quick breakfast smoothie. Lob a bit of spinach in there too - you can't really taste it and it's extra vitamins smile

hanflan Thu 11-Dec-14 10:38:04

Excellent ideas, thank you so much!

JamNan Thu 11-Dec-14 13:36:33

Are you BF ?
Some BF babes can't digest curry and chilli so go easy on the hot stuff or you might get covered in exploding yellow poo

Soups casseroles... actually Another Girls has summed it up

hanflan Thu 11-Dec-14 13:53:03

JamNan I do plan to breastfeed, yes. So will go easy on the spices. Have also been told to go easy on onion too as that can upset babies tummy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now