Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy vegetable (meat free) pies? Failing that, can you give me a good recipe?

(9 Posts)
shadypines Mon 08-Dec-14 20:41:15

MY DD is vegetarian, DS has a severe nut allergy, add some fussy eaters into the mix and sometimes I find it hard to know what to do for tea. On days when I'm just looking for an easy option eg a ready made pie, can anyone tell me where I can find vegetable/vegetarian pies? I can only ever find cheese or cheese and onion.
Thank you.

MegMogandOwlToo Mon 08-Dec-14 20:55:22

Sainsburys sell them, but I think that's the only supermarket that does now!

Asda and tesco seem to have stopped selling theirs. It's a shame because they were good when I just wanted to chuck something in the oven and not worry about preparing anything!

Sainsburys also sell a Linda McCartney Mexican plait, which is like a pasty with soya mince, kidney beans and Mexican spices, it's a good alternative but doesn't work so well with gravy and mash.

shadypines Mon 08-Dec-14 20:58:47

Thank you Meg smile

hazelnutlatte Mon 08-Dec-14 21:01:30

Pieminister do a few nice ones if you have anywhere near you that stocks them. Failing that, look in the frozen section of the supermarket, they usually have quorn / Linda McCartney ones which are meat substitute rather than vegetable, or there is a brand called Amy's which sell frozen vegetable pies.

coffeeandchoc Mon 08-Dec-14 21:32:28

Tesco had a sweet potato and goats cheese pie in recently, but I think it was limited addition one. Was very tasty though smile

agoodbook Mon 08-Dec-14 21:46:10

Try your local delicatessen and ask! - my local one does a range of pasties/ veggie rolls and pies fresh every day

agoodbook Mon 08-Dec-14 21:49:23

As an alternative - one of our favourite pies could be adapted - we have sausage and tomato pie -( double crust) sausage meat topped with tinned tomatoes - delicious - could you substitute vegetarian sausage in that?

Naughtyornicename Mon 08-Dec-14 21:53:24

I like the linda McCarthy ones. Also square pie (not even sure if they are still going).

Moogdroog Mon 08-Dec-14 23:59:53

Another mention for Pieminister Heidi pies. Most health food shops seems to have Clives Pies too - loads of interesting flavour combinations.
Linda pies though, salty as all hell!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now