Talk

Advanced search

Source of recipes that ONLY require a slow cooker

(14 Posts)
itm1960 Mon 08-Dec-14 17:38:42

I'd like to make more use of my slow cooker for simple recipes, and have spent the last hour looking for slow cooker recipes on the web. Pretty much every recipe requires pre-cooking before the ingredients are put in the slow cooker. I'm looking for "throw it in and push the button" recipes, which don't require any pre-cooking of the ingredients.
Does anyone know of a good source of these types of recipes?

lanbro Mon 08-Dec-14 17:41:47

Watching with interest, all the recipes I come across require meat browning and vegetable frying! I do shove lamb shanks in unbrowned and they come out lovely!

Quitelikely Mon 08-Dec-14 17:46:25

Tin of corned beef

Two chopped onions

Diced potatoes

Gravy granules

Serve with warm crusty bread. Yummy. Can add carrots and peas if desired

PhilMckrakin Mon 08-Dec-14 17:46:34

Ime browning makes no difference. I just ignore that part and chuck everything in for every slow cooker recipe. Never had any complaints yet.fsmile

izzybizzybuzzybees Mon 08-Dec-14 17:50:45

There's a Facebook group called slow cooker saddos that has lots of meal ideas and riches with no browning required smile

574ejones Mon 08-Dec-14 21:38:50

I agree with Phil, I used to brown everything but now can't be arsed and I haven't noticed any difference in taste.

Rainicorn Mon 08-Dec-14 21:43:33

I never brown before slow cooking. Makes no difference IMO.

JamNan Tue 09-Dec-14 07:23:49

I don't brown the ingredients in a pan any more although I used to. I just chuck it in now as it makes no difference. 40 MN slow cooker recipes here

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Tue 09-Dec-14 07:37:44

I like this site www.365daysofcrockpot.com/

itm1960 Tue 09-Dec-14 16:18:21

Thanks for the links. Another dumb question - is it possible to include the rice when you're slow-cooking a meal (e.g in a risotto/paella type dish), or is it only the other ingredients that can be thrown into the pot and left for hours?

PhilMckrakin Wed 10-Dec-14 12:50:49

Yes you can include things like rice and potatoes. There is lots of recipes for slow cooker risotto that are really nice if you Google fsmile

december12 Wed 10-Dec-14 13:04:45

I agree and have no idea why recipe books insist browning is required. By the time it's all been cooked for 8 hours I've never been able to tell the difference

Ludways Wed 10-Dec-14 13:12:34

The only thing I ever brown I'd sausages, I know I don't have to but I just have a mental block. I put rice or pasta in as I get in the house, I then potter for a few minutes and serve. I usually only get to take my coat off, go to the loo and get plates out and the rice or pasta is done.

AmeliaPeabody Wed 10-Dec-14 14:18:11

I have this book. You just throw the ingredients in then switch on.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BSSS1KE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_

Though they do have a 'weekender' section with recipes requiring more prep time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now