Talk

Advanced search

I have a gala pie in the freezer please jelp

(11 Posts)
Swifey Mon 08-Dec-14 04:10:30

How do I defrost and still make sure it's crisp on the outside and not wet as such? It's a large one from waitrose entertaining and serves 16. It was too good to throw away, so I froze it, but now worried about it, as wanted to serve it on Boxing Day! Any tips greatly appreciated!

Swifey Mon 08-Dec-14 04:11:36

Please jelp??? Help obviously!! How dos autocorrect not pick that up??

Swifey Mon 08-Dec-14 04:12:18

Omg ..... How did autocorrect not pick that up!!!! Arrrhhghhhh!!

Swifey Mon 08-Dec-14 07:22:15

Yes, I am shamelessly bumping my own thread, sorry!

Swifey Mon 08-Dec-14 16:23:44

Hello, anyone??? It's awfully lonely here ;-)

tb Mon 08-Dec-14 17:31:54

I'd just let it thaw out slowly.

How cooked is it? I was thinking that if the pastry could stand a little more time in the oven, cook it for about 20 minutes in a moderate oven, gas 4, and then let it cool before putting it in the fridge.

GloriousGloria Mon 08-Dec-14 17:36:57

I just have to know what a Gala pie is? blush

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 08-Dec-14 17:48:00

I'm hoping by gala pie you mean pork pie with boiled egg in it? haven't had that for years and craving it now

I'd also let it thaw then heat it gently to crisp the pastry up

Roussette Mon 08-Dec-14 17:54:19

Do let it defrost on a wire rack so it doesn't get soggy on the bottom. I make hotwater crust raised pies and do this and they don't get soggy..

Swifey Mon 08-Dec-14 19:25:23

Great, thanks guys. Good idea about the wire rack, and I am sure it could handle some time in the oven! Let's hope so anyway! Do you think the eggs will be ok? Xx

Roussette Mon 08-Dec-14 19:50:22

Personally I wouldn't heat it. I made a big one (chicken and pork) and it didn't need heating, the pastry was good but it needed quite a long defrost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now