Talk

Advanced search

Ideas please - new year's dinner for 10 adults

(29 Posts)
Coffeeinthepark Sun 07-Dec-14 19:43:24

I'd be really grateful for ideas. Sit down, sort of formal, 4 course meal for 10. Just adults for main event, no special dietary restrictions. But what to do for main course?

I'm a reasonable cool but would prefer something that can be prepared well in advance as we have to get through a kids party first

LineRunner Sun 07-Dec-14 19:47:15

I would have to do a massive dinner in a pot, just owing to space.

So things like casserole and dumplings, chilli con carne, or a Bolognese beyond compare.

How much cooking and storage space do you have?

VivaLeBeaver Sun 07-Dec-14 19:52:56

Big curry?

Why's it got to be 4 course? What other courses were you thinking of doing?

december12 Sun 07-Dec-14 19:53:21

Yes, stew of some sort. Goulash or beef bourguignon?

DoItTooJulia Sun 07-Dec-14 19:55:20

Is there a theme.. Italian? French? Are you thinking game? Fish?

FullOfChoc Sun 07-Dec-14 19:59:44

I'd do this with a big green salad.
www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spanish-chicken-with-chorizo-and-potatoes-5160

Coffeeinthepark Sun 07-Dec-14 20:01:37

Our kitchen isn't massive. No theme. We want it all to look lovely plated out. Having a long drawn out meal is a tradition for new year for us. Think candle light, best crockery, cut glass - I know it doesn't necessarily sound very fashionable but we are a bit old fashioned in this way (and I want to use my cheese knives for cheese course)

MajesticWhine Sun 07-Dec-14 20:02:41

Watching with interest. We have 8 adults and 7 children for new year. Yikes.

Coffeeinthepark Sun 07-Dec-14 20:08:18

Fillofchoc - that recipe looks a bit like a Jamie recipe for tray baked chicken with potatoes and tomatoes that I often do for guests. A great fall back.

Some of the guests came over not so long ago and I did chicken so I think not chicken. Probably a meat dish but definitely not mince or pasta

Laska42 Sun 07-Dec-14 20:18:56

venison or oxtail casserole a big pile of mash and purple sprouting brocolli

HFW recipe venison
Jamies Oxtail

But i'd do both of these recipes above with with whole shallots rather than sliced onions

However my fall back for a crowd is always leg of lamb..You could slow roast it and serve with the borlotti beans lemon and meguez sausage accompaniament in this Tom Kerridge recipe ( I think thats what we'll probably be having although there will only be the two if us )

FullOfChoc Sun 07-Dec-14 20:50:46

I'll have to try the Jamie one!

Watching suggestions with interest as I have done chicken too often as well...

FullOfChoc Sun 07-Dec-14 20:52:25

I love roast lamb Laska!

Just chucking in my favourite:
www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/bill-granger/slow-cooked-greek-lamb.html

zipzap Sun 07-Dec-14 21:28:57

Beef in red wine?

I've just done it today in the slow cooker - chopped some onions, threw in some pre-chunked braising steak, good sprinkle of flour to cover everthing (stirred around so everything covered rather than just left as a layer), sprinkle of thyme and then another one, plenty of garlic and a bottle of red wine (one of the ones that came free in the meal for a tenner deal at the supermarket) and a slug of sherry as it wasn't a great bottle of wine...

Did it just before lunch, left it in the slow cooker and it was perfect for supper. Served with Jacket potatoes and assorted veg. went down very well.

If I'd been organised and awake when I gave dh the shopping list yesterday I would have added bacon lardons and little mushrooms as they do make it even nicer but even without it was still very nice. And if I was awake properly when I made it I would have stirred in a spoonful or two of onion marmalade, which is what I do instead of browning the meat before it goes in the slow cooker. I know that it's the done thing to brown the meat and soften the onions but quite honestly nobody has ever noticed the difference - it's only done to kick off the caramalisation of the meat and onions and the onion marmalade has plenty of those flavours in it for no effort at all!

I also do a slow cooked joint of lamb in the slow cooker - put it on a layer of onions, stud the joint with loads of garlic and rosemary, spray the top of the joint with the barest hint of olive oil on the fatty bit so it goes a bit crispy while cooking and doesn't stay really pale, and throw in a glass of sherry around the bottom to get some steam going early on.

By the end of it you have lucious lamb that you can shred or serve in slices, so tender it just falls apart and is wondrous, and you can either serve it as a traditional roast (which is how I had it growing up) or jamie/nigella style all shredded with lots of pomegranate seeds, salad, new potatoes and even home made wraps to have it with...

Mumraathenoisylion Sun 07-Dec-14 21:32:47

I love this duck ragu Jamie Oliver made on one of his shows duck ragu it can cook for 4 hours and is beautiful, especially the crispy duck skin on the top. Yum

ReallyBadParty Sun 07-Dec-14 21:36:15

This [[ http://www.waitrose.com/home/tv/Weekend_Kitchen/dhruv-baker-s-slowcookedspicedshoulderofporkwithcouscousandsalsa.html spiced slow roasted pork]] is delicious.

I did it with salads and bread and stuff in the summer and with spiced red cabbage and roast potatoes a couple of weeks ago.

Very very easy and tasty.

ReallyBadParty Sun 07-Dec-14 21:36:59

www.waitrose.com/home/tv/Weekend_Kitchen/dhruv-baker-s-slowcookedspicedshoulderofporkwithcouscousandsalsa.html oops

agoodbook Sun 07-Dec-14 22:35:41

I've made this a couple of times for big parties -once with one very large salmon, -
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roastedsalmonwithsal_78565

PhoebeMcPeePee Sun 07-Dec-14 22:41:05

We've just done a similar meal & had Thai fish cakes to start, massamum curry with rice & Thai crackers, then a big platter of thinly sliced pineapple with mint sugar & yogurt (Jamie Oliver seriously good & very refreshing after a curry ) finished with coffee & chocolate truffles. 'Twas very good if I say so myself smile

chestnut100 Sun 07-Dec-14 22:54:16

I would do a tagine style dish of some sort. Served with a platter of flat breads, cous cous dressed with lemon, pomegranate and parsley, with nice olives, sun blush tomatoes etc, followed by lemon posset. (Light pus so you can do the all important cheese course!)

That's a regular dinner party staple for me. Looks beautiful when brought to the table, but is a really social meal a d crucially one that can be prepped ahead. Always goes down a storm

Allalonenow Sun 07-Dec-14 23:01:25

Salmon mousse or liver pate
Rib of beef with mixed green vegetables
Cheese
Almond cake with fruit compote

lastnightIwenttoManderley Sun 07-Dec-14 23:10:55

Coffee this is how we spend new year too and I love it!

Things that I make which always seem to go down well are:

Starter: filo parcels with haggis and caramelized red onion with a whisky sauce

Dessert: G&T jelly. risks outing self this one is basically small cups of lemon posset with mashed up g&t jelly (coloured bright turquoise like a Bombay sapphire bottle) on top so it looks like 'froth' served with shortbread.

Both combinations sort of evolved from ideas over the years but seem to be a hit. Also easy as can be done the day before.

lastnightIwenttoManderley Sun 07-Dec-14 23:12:42

PS. Sure there is a variant on the jelly that would be more wintry... Maybe chocolate mousse with a citrus flavour?

JamNan Mon 08-Dec-14 00:24:44

I'd go for a beef and Guinness casserole with mashed root vegetables.

Pate or smoked salmon on toast to start.

Sorbet?

Cheese board

Baked pears, almond/chocolate cake or shortbread biscuits

sashh Mon 08-Dec-14 08:16:28

starter - pate or terrine made in advance.
Fish - smoked salmon and cream cheese (use the trimmings pack) in a filo parcel - mushrooms if someone doesn't like fish - take 12 mins in the oven
Chicken in Red wine done in the slow cooker with baby baked potatoes and steamed veg
pudding - cheesecake - made in advance or cheese and bread/biscuits

The day before make the pate, fish parcels and pudding. On the day sort out the chicken in red wine and prep the veg.

New potatoes rubbed in an oil and salt mixture and put in the oven 45 mins before eating, or can be cooked earlier and kept warm. Prep some carrots and green beans to steam.

The only things you do when your guests are there is put the fish in the oven while you eat the pate and then put the veg on to steam while you eat the fish.

Serve course 1 and 2 one after the other then have a break before the main dish.

Coffeeinthepark Mon 08-Dec-14 20:05:07

Brilliant suggestions, thank you. I knew this was the place to turn for advice. I need to do some thinking

DH points out that some people are a bit funny about lamb so beef might be a safer option - or indeed pork. I have actually never properly slow cooked anything before so I might need to experiment a bit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now