Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good cookery book?

(7 Posts)
KeepSmiling83 Sun 07-Dec-14 18:43:33

Hi

I am looking for some inspiration for a good family cook book. I am not a great cook and tend to stick to the same things which is getting boring. I have a DD who is 3 and am pregnant so am looking for non fancy, tasty recipes for the whole family.

We tend to eat pastas, curries, chicken and we don't really eat any fish or other meat.

I'd prefer meals that don't require too much preparation as soon ill have 2 children to entertain while I'm cooking.

Does such a recipe book exist?? Thank you for any suggestions.

jammiecat Sun 07-Dec-14 21:45:40

The best family cookbooks out at the moment I think are the Mumsnet Top Bananas cookbook Here or the Holly Bell one Here. Both are straightforward recipe books, and suitable for the family. I love the slow cooker section in the Mumsnet one, and the raspberry jam chicken (dead easy and tastes so good). On the sweet end the chocolate mousse, and the squidgey brownies are amazing. Both have a good range of recipes, and none are overly complicated.

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Sun 07-Dec-14 21:48:54

www.amazon.co.uk/Tamasins-Kitchen-Bible-Tamasin-Day-Lewis/dp/029784363X This is the one I use the most.

CarolBornAMan Sun 07-Dec-14 21:53:02

I have mentioned this before but I cant recommend it enough for cooking great family meals - the best part is that he designs the meals so that you can make them suitable for babies - he tells you when to puree - or small kids - there are stop points in all recipes when you can stop to serve a blander version of the meal before you make it more exciting for adults..

He has sections around key ingredients such as chicken breast, aubergine, puy lentils that he then makes 6-7 dishes out of and then shows how to modify them to make even more .. he has great recipes for pestos and curry sauces.. the book is just savoury main courses and we have loved all of them - he makes a great risotto using pasta which I love ..far easier than the rice version..

Flingingmelon Sun 07-Dec-14 21:58:10

Not a cook book as such but try an Olive Magazine subscription. About the same price and tonnes more recipes. They tailor them for time / ability / budget constraints and if you use them all year you'll probably end up eating in line with the seasons and having a much more varied diet than from just using a cook book.

I pretty much learnt to cook like this. I've got dozens of cookbooks but they're pretty much only there to dress my kitchen smile

KeepSmiling83 Tue 09-Dec-14 18:09:55

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I'll have a look on the Internet tonight.

CarolBornAMan have I missed the name of the book? I don't know if I'm being silly or you forgot to put it in?

CarolBornAMan Tue 09-Dec-14 22:10:34

yup - forgot the name - Everybody Everyday by Alex Mackay here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now