Talk

Advanced search

Best make ahead and freeze christmas food

(10 Posts)
Nocturne123 Sat 06-Dec-14 21:57:14

As above but specifically for Christmas Day .

I've found Jamie's make ahead gravy which I plan to do but am in need of some tried and tested ideas !

Any veg ideas? I'm hosting Christmas Day for 7 for the first time and am starting to panic .

Thanks in advance

momb Sat 06-Dec-14 22:00:15

red cabbage freezes well, as does mashed potato (before you add the cream/butter). I mash carrots for the freezer too, then reheat them and blitz with cumin and butter. The basic sprouts, steamed carrots, roast potatoes and parsnips you need to do on the day really.

Nocturne123 Sat 06-Dec-14 22:03:08

Fab thanks

MostAmused Sat 06-Dec-14 22:10:56

Last year we froze steamed and oiled (goose fat) potatoes and then put them in a tray of hot fat for an hour on the day. They worked quite nicely as I recall.

Inselaffe Sat 06-Dec-14 22:13:51

Sausage rolls, stuffing, mince pies, cranberry sauce.

You can peel veg the night before and leave them in pans of cold water overnight - get a big chopping board and some big bowls for scraps etc. and do it in the living room in front of the TV with people to help. That's my plan anyway!

Nocturne123 Sat 06-Dec-14 22:15:30

Ah sausage rolls , how could I forget about those , thanks smile

RaspberryLemonPavlova Sat 06-Dec-14 23:01:27

Definitely roast potatoes, parboil and open freeze, then put in a plastic bag. Google Delia.

I freeze pigs in blankets ready prepared but uncooked. Also sausagemeat stuffing balls.

I've tried Jamie's gravy twice, its an awful faff and I didn't find it great

calzone Sat 06-Dec-14 23:02:34

When do you have the sausage rolls?

Inselaffe Sat 06-Dec-14 23:20:06

We eat our Christmas dinner at lunchtime (about 1 or 2pm) and then have turkey and cucumber sandwiches with mince pies and sausage rolls in front of Dr. Who.

I have been a little surprised on MN this year by how many people eat their dinner in the evening. It means the cooking is out of the way by 2pm and the chef can relax! smile

Nocturne123 Sun 07-Dec-14 08:24:30

Ah that's disappointing about Jamie's gravy . I'll
Have to continue my search . I have Delia's christmas book so I'll have a look at the roast potatoes in that , if Dcs will give me 5min hmm.

I'm not sure if like to eat in the evening either I plan to eat around 3ish so I can chill out after

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now