Talk

Advanced search

vegan treat ideas anyone?

(12 Posts)
Inkspellme Fri 05-Dec-14 07:54:00

I am putting together a small food hamper of treats for a relation of mine for Christmas. She is vegan so I will need to be careful in my choices.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some well known brands which are suitable? I had heard dark chocolate bounty bars were but is there others?

Thanks

CecyHall Fri 05-Dec-14 08:12:05

Dark choc bountys aren't vegan so don't get them.

Starburst are, raspberry ruffles, M&S have some vegan jelly sweets now (look out for shellac, beeswax and e120/cochineal/carmine in sweets as that's not vegan), if you can get to a health food shop there are lots of options. Biscuits- party rings, Oreos, I think jammy dodgers are.

Inkspellme Fri 05-Dec-14 08:50:28

brilliant thank you! I think I was mixing up lactose free and vegan...

MyGhostIsFlummoxed Fri 05-Dec-14 09:33:30

booja booja make amazing vegan truffles.

Also Montezumas are really good.

MyGhostIsFlummoxed Fri 05-Dec-14 09:37:36

Ready salted Pringles used to be vegan-they say on the tube anyway. Also hob nobs used to be vegan but haven't checked recently, I think ginger nuts are too.

I used to be vegan but lapsed, my brother still is so feel free to ask away if you've got any questions.

figgypuddings Fri 05-Dec-14 09:42:50

Chocolate hob nobs, Lotus biscuits and spread, marzipan, check some dark chocolate as they may contain milk but the nicest one I have found was in Lidl, agave syrup, tesco do a vegan date and chocolate slice in the 'Free From' area. Alpro devillishly dark chocolate puddings.
Aldi have a very basic looking Christmas pudding which is fully vegan.

mysteryfairy Fri 05-Dec-14 10:28:07

My DS is vegan and I am collecting stuff for a hamper/food package for him at Xmas that will go back to university with him to keep him supplied with treats in January.

Hotel chocolat/montezumas staff are great and will point you to dark chocolates in their range which are vegan. You can also easily identify dark bars in m and s, green and blacks etc if you want to spend less. Some after eight style chocolates, though not actual after eights, are vegan. DS also likes dairy free chocolates from moo free which you can buy in holland and Barrett and from ocado as they are more milk chocolate style - packaging suggests they are aimed at children. I also get him a heap of naked bars.

Cheap biscuit wise most bourbons and Aldi dark chocolate digestives are vegan. Going up market lots of free from stuff will be vegan, but need to check everything (honey and egg are obviously often in dairy free stuff).

I buy him nice nuts - cashews, almonds etc. Nice cordial is obviously vegan. There are lots of websites to check for what alcohol is ok so easy to get wine, beer, champagne which is fine.

I've ordered vegan chocolate spread from ocado as his siblings have personalised Nutella from Selfridges. Ocado is actually a pretty good source of stuff if you just search on vegan. Most is normal groceries, but obviously treat stuff does come up too.

Posh jam is almost invariably vegan!

Many deluxe hot chocolate powders are vegan.

Some supermarket mince pies are vegan, obviously have to avoid posh ones with butter in the pastry but from memory I think Asda standard ones are ok. It's easy to make a vegan CHRISTMAS cake.

If you want to include toiletries most lush stuff is vegan, but check as they have honey etc in some stuff. Down market coop and Superdrug own brands are also vegan friendly, not sure why the distinction from other brands, but DS definitely makes it.

Inkspellme Fri 05-Dec-14 19:28:23

thanks everyone so much - plenty to keep me going there!

I think After Eights are vegan - they certainly used to be, anyway.
How about some salted almonds? Food of the Gods.

sashh Mon 08-Dec-14 08:22:35

I made up a pepper and date chutney the other day - 2 yellow peppers, handful of dried dates, stick them in a pan with a mix of vengar and sugar, add some powdered spices and cook until you can trace a wooden spoon through. Yes I know it is not a brand but it was very easy.

Pickled onions and preserved olives should be OK. Health food shops tend to have vegan things like pate.

spilttheteaagain Tue 09-Dec-14 21:09:38

Medjool dates

RojaGato Wed 10-Dec-14 04:24:33

Booja booja truffles are amazing.

Fry's chocolate creams are an everyday favourite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now