Talk

Advanced search

Xmas pudding help

(9 Posts)
bonkersLFDT20 Wed 03-Dec-14 22:53:01

I have three 2 pint Xmas puds to cook. They've been sitting in the fridge in lidded plastic basins since Sunday. I hope they're OK.

Tomorrow is the day I am around long enough to babysit them, but I've never done it before and need some help.

I have 3 large lidded pans.
Q. I've done nothing with greaseproof paper yet. What do I need to do?
Q. Do I cook them with the lids on?
Q. Do I need to rest them on something (saucer?) in the pan or will they be OK since they are plastic?
Q. How full do the pans need to be?
Q. Do I actually boil the water, or simmer it?
Q. How long will they take and how will I know they're done?
Q. Obviously I know it depends on the size of the pan and the amount of water, but roughly how long do I get between top ups? I will be working in the garden office so not actually in the house/kitchen.
Q. I presume I can't take them off the heat at all, can I? My window to cook is from 8.45am to 2.55pm (school day)

nb. I do not have muslin/pudding cloth. I really have to do them tomorrow as I don't know when I'll have another window long enough.

Q. Whose daft idea was this in the first place?

Thank you to anyone who can help me.

bigbirdSept Wed 03-Dec-14 23:22:05

Hi. First post!

You need to steam for 6 hours. Pop puddings in pots, pour boiling water in a few inches deep and simmer with lid tightly on. Top up approx every 2 hours but check every hour if u can. The heat under the pot should never be really hot so plastic bowls don't melt, just foot heat the water on high, pour it in already boiled. If u r worried put a saucer upside down under the bowl.

For covering I always cut a circle of greaseproof bigger than the pudding, then do a fold/pleat down the middle to allow it expand. Then cover bowl and tie down with string under the rim. Repeat with a circle of tin foil with pleat in and tie it down too.
Ive done it this way for a few years and works a treat

bigbirdSept Wed 03-Dec-14 23:30:07

...sorry posted too early
I think if you put bowl lids on just cover bowl with tin foil to waterproof them in case lids come off, found that tip on a Nigella page when I was doing mine this year.

Oh and once done allow to cool, remove paper and foil and I recover with exact same combination of fresh greaseproof paper and foil tied down. Store pudding and its ready to in into the pot on Christmas day to steam for 2 hours. I know its a lot of time but so delicious :-D

Hope that makes sense re the not turning the ring up high means bowls don't melt. Just keep it simmering v low, all you want is steam. Good luck

bonkersLFDT20 Wed 03-Dec-14 23:53:08

Thank you so much. That's all really helpful.

Didn't know they needed another 2hrs on the day!! I shall worry about that later.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

bonkersLFDT20 Thu 04-Dec-14 10:11:45

They are steaming RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

bigbirdSept Thu 04-Dec-14 14:28:25

Great! Actually steaming on the day is just to reheat so you could use microwave, slow cooker etc
Enjoy

bonkersLFDT20 Thu 04-Dec-14 20:42:04

bigbird
You've been so helpful so far, I wonder if you can answer this last question?

Will it be ok to leave the puds in their plastic pots with the lids on? They have nothing covering the actual pudding inside. Should I maybe cover with foil (wrap whole basin?) to store them?

I will have to invite you and your family round for Xmas lunch!

tb Thu 04-Dec-14 20:47:46

When I've done big ones in plastic bowls with clip-on lids, I've just put a circle of greaseproof or baking parchment on top, under the lid.

As a pp said, replace the paper for a second steam just before you eat.

bonkersLFDT20 Thu 04-Dec-14 22:59:37

Thanks tb, that's what I'll do then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now